Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help! Rod tip broken, stupid seal..  (Read 2686 times)

Shawn6o4

Help! Rod tip broken, stupid seal..
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:16:01 AM »

Well had to pick someone up from ambleside yesterday evening decided id try a little fishing at the mouth. Saw some seals catchin fish, said to myself "that would suck if a seal came after my lure" .....5 min later seal eats my lure snaps my rod.. 4 holes down. Where do i get this fixed? Going to osoyoos Friday so needing something done soon.

Thanks for any help.

Shawn.

Shawn6o4

Re: Help! Rod tip broken, stupid seal..
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:22:01 AM »

Also caught a small crab too. Made me laugh i thought it was a fish

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »

there is not much you can do when it breaks that far down but to replace the top section.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:17:24 AM »

Would any shops in vancouver have spare top sections

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:26:32 AM »

who knows I might have one ....

maybe you could tell us what you broke

Shawn6o4

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 09:46:32 AM »

Was just on a quantum im6  6'6

alan701

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »

I don't think it can be fixed.. or very hard to at least. You'll have to see if tackle stores have the second piece. Depends if its a newer model and if company sells tips. I know mikes reel repair has a bin full of tips but you have to dig and see if they have it..If you live far away its not worth it

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:16:01 PM »

there is not much you can do when it breaks that far down but to replace the top section.

X2

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »

Was just on a quantum im6  6'6

It's actually not that difficult to fix yourself. I snapped two rods this year and managed to fix them both (albeit, they're a bit shorter now and were snapped closer to the tip). Just insert the top "half" of the broken section into the bottom "half." Make sure to cut off the bottom half near a guide though, otherwise it'll just break again, and make sure that at least a few inches of the top half are inserted into the bottom (the more, the better). This may mean cutting off the closest guide to the break, off the top half. Sorry if that's confusing; I'd post pics but I don't have time to setup a photobucket account...

A bit of super glue, aquaseal, etc. will help to hold everything together but I needed to fix mine on the river last time and found that if you insert it hard enough it'll hold and still be fishable.

FYI, I picked up a Berkley Cherrywood 7' at WalMart for $27.87 + tax a few years back... I don't see a tackle shop fixing your rod for less then that so it may be time to get a new rod. In fact, I've got a Quantum Recon IM6, 6'6" rod that's been used once if you're interested. Got a couple of older graphite rods as well, ranging in size from 6-7ft. $15-$20 for any one rod, two for $30 ;) Pickup would be in Surrey, near 166th St and 84 Ave. Call me at 647-785-2415 if interested. I fly back to Toronto on Wednesday morning so before then would be best...

Good luck!

p.s. Most tackle shops don't just sell one half of the rod. There was a place in Whalley that we were able to get the bottom half of a 10-foot rod from once but they closed shop a number of years ago. I tried getting the top half of a 10 footer last year, from Fred's, after losing it on a cast but had to buy a new rod...
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »

Zabber. Thanks! Will give you a shout after work. I maybe in surrey this evening actualy.