Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A feast of clams  (Read 5690 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
A feast of clams
« on: April 20, 2020, 10:50:46 AM »

On my walkabouts for cutthroat, I always enjoy looking for the sign, tracks and scat of area residents.

Came across this yesterday. There were a couple of similar deposits along this little blackwater pond.  I'm not an expert tracker, but tracks in the mud seemed to indicate river otters.   

Pretty cool :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: A feast of clams
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »

What kind of clams are these? We were actually wondering about this yesterday when finding some while walking down a slough.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »

Freshwater Mussel?

https://www.oregonconservationstrategy.org/strategy-species/western-ridged-mussel/

Overview

Species Common Name
    Western Ridged Mussel
    Species Scientific Name
    Gonidea angulata

*Edit - If someone wants to do a walkabout to find me...so be it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:13:43 AM by cutthroat22 »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 11:23:53 AM »

Yes, more accurately freshwater mussels. I refer to them as clams, but they are properly mussels.

https://pnwmussels.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/pnw_mussel_guide_2nd_edition.pdf

There are many species of the freshwater mussels in the genus Anodonta. My best guess is that it is one of the species commonly referred to as a "floater"     

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:26:42 AM by clarki »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »

Never read much about freshwater mussels until today. Interesting. The fertilized embryos (called "glochidia") are released into the water and need to attach to a host fish as a parasite. Later (days to months) , they release from the host fish and settle to the bottom to mature. Even the little stickleback can be host fish.   

Pretty interesting the whole relationship between mussels, fish, water quality and higher order mammal predators.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:35:43 AM by clarki »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 11:47:01 AM »

I've watched otters feasting on freshwater clams many times. I have never seen one eat a fish though once I found a partially consumed steelhead kelt that was likely taken by an otter. They also eat crayfish and often their scat is filled with shells fragments.

In close to 60 years of fishing the Fraser Valley I have seen river otters go from pretty much non present to being frequently seen. I like to come across them. A couple of years ago I saw a pair of pups which the mum must of left under a large cedar growing out of a cut-bank. They were smaller than house cats and would pop their heads up and whistle at me. Or maybe they were calling for mom to come and keep them safe.

I read recently a female otter will often be accompanied by a clutch pups from different year cohorts. They have a complicated family life. Big males can almost be the size of seals.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:01:28 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »

Otters most definitely eat fish. I had an otter swam up and stole my trout while attempting to land it.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 01:21:04 PM »

Otters are thriving in the lower Fraser. I see them all the time while I’m working. Ferrets and or minks as well. Not sure which one they are ??

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 01:33:31 PM »

Otters most definitely eat fish. I had an otter swam up and stole my trout while attempting to land it.

That's impossible! ;D ;D ;D

While walking the slough this past week, we saw all kinds of animal prints from heron to bear, way more alive than just a ditch.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 01:41:40 PM »

Of course! In some areas they are infamous for eating trout and salmon. Perhaps here they find it easier eating crayfish and mussels.

I commonly see them out in the Salish Sea as well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 02:30:41 PM »

These otters need to stop being so shellfish.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 02:33:12 PM »

These otters need to stop being so shellfish.
You otter stop makin such bad puns

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 02:35:44 PM »

Of course! In some areas they are infamous for eating trout and salmon. Perhaps here they find it easier eating crayfish and mussels.

I commonly see them out in the Salish Sea as well.

Don't forget they like Koi from the Sun Yet Sun gardens.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 02:39:35 PM »

While walking the slough this past week, we saw all kinds of animal prints from heron to bear, way more alive than just a ditch.

Agreed! There is so much to see if you are observant to your surroundings, and curious. A small dose of humility and awe can be helpful too :)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 02:42:06 PM »

You otter stop makin such bad puns

You otter be ashamed of yourself.