Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can a canoe with a 5hp prop motor get up the Pitt River?  (Read 10869 times)

canuckjgc

Can a canoe with a 5hp prop motor get up the Pitt River?
« on: January 21, 2009, 02:29:56 PM »

Hi all -- I'm still planning to take my 18ft square stern canoe (with 40" beam) up Pitt Lake to the Pitt River.  With a 5hp it goes 11mph+ so should take 1.5 hours or so according to Google Earth.  I know that the lake can get rough but the canoe is very stable and seaworthy and I'd keep a keen ear and eye out for weather changes.  I don't think taking this canoe is as risky as some people say it is.

My question is this: once at the Pitt River, could I expect to motor-up to the first sandy beach (about .5 mile in according the map)?  Surely it's deep enough for my canoe and 5hp prop?  I'd then want to get out of the boat and fish from shore. 

Thoughts? 

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re: Can a canoe with a 5hp prop motor get up the Pitt River?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 02:38:57 PM »

keep dreaming..

canuckjgc

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 02:47:44 PM »

Why?  River too fast or?  I've never been there, obviously

keep dreaming..

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 03:09:23 PM »

That system is a lot more dangerous than you are giving it credit. For someone who's never been up there I'd listen to what others are telling you. I would never risk my life in a canoe up there, but it's your choice.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »

there was 4 , 18-20 foot boats that sank on that river last year. in the past several years there has been several deaths.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 04:37:22 PM »

I have never done it, but a friend of mine who is a very experience canoe'r explained that the danger on Pitt is when the chop picks up (which it definately does) that getting dropped on one of the many dead-heads can tip you over very easily...  Sounds logical to me.  At the very least get some good charts and find out where you can safely go from someone who has done it before.

wagz

• Can"t get enough!!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 04:58:53 PM »

The mouth of the river (head of the lake) is very shallow, mostly sand and gravel and there is no real way to tell how deep the water is because of the colour (glacier run-off)

I would not attempt it with a prop.  EVER! Period!

canuckjgc

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 08:04:50 PM »

Ok thanks for the information.  You've talked me out of it -- fishing isn't worth that kind of risk. 

catch22

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »

hay canuckjgc Ive been up there many times in my 18 foot alum and i wouldn't recamend going anywhere near the mouth without a jet boat, fast water and lots of dead heads,not too mention that the fishing down there isn't all that great.When Ive gone up there i tie up too the gov dock and ride my mountain bike down the flat logging road, unfortunately the access is limited until you get about 8km in .Ive found the fishing best between the pitt river lodge and the canyon,but with the winter weave had the roads probably only been cleared as far as the hatchery.If you really want too go i would recamend booking a weekend at the lodge and they will pick you up at grant narrows and drive you up the river when you get there,good luck...............

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 10:21:06 PM »

i saw on google earth , theres roads and like 3 parking lots on the first  1or 2 kms of the river  , so does anybody know how to get to the parking lot,  or the roads leading to the parking lot?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 07:44:21 AM »

I've taken a 12' canoe with a 1 1/2 hp motor up there a few times. The problems are there when the tide is low and the wind is up. Also the level of the river above Pitt lake. As your not doing high speed down that river like a jet boat, it's like any other river in a canoe. Depends on your experience. It's a long haul though but lots of places to stop along the way if you have to. The wind can make it a nasty winter trip. Be prepared to paddle or push the canoe over shallow spots on the upper river. Makes a nice summertime trip. Only Lobster up there no crabs.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

canuckjgc

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »

Thanks all.  Guess I'm looking at a second boat.  Most economical seems to be a used Zodiac inflatable (13') with a 25hp jet.  Surely this rig would be suitable for going up the river, yes? 

Bhinky

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 12:39:12 PM »

Experienced guides in full-sized  jetboats get into trouble up there sometimes....you have no experience. Find a guide, book a trip........Gary at Riverside goes there quite often.

canuckjgc

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 03:57:32 PM »

An inflatable with a 25hp jet won't be doing 40mph either -- I think it would be quite capable.  It's pretty tough to sink an inflatable on a river!

canuckjgc

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 04:09:13 PM »

Honestly, that's pretty paranoid.  I don't need to fly up the river with that setup -- I'll be able to see sweepers going about 7mph and flipping an inflatable is nearly impossible.