Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rod/reel  (Read 1985 times)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
rod/reel
« on: May 16, 2006, 07:51:26 PM »

Well im looking for a small profile level wind, to put about 6lb test on for fishing for kokanee, and i would also like to pick up a casting rod(with trigger). I want the rod to be light, 2-8lb so that i can cast spinners with it and also put it in the down rigger for kokanee. Any suggestions on reels or rods? I have around 150-200$ to spend on one.

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: rod/reel
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 05:38:30 AM »

I have a lamiglas ultra light...as I recall its 11' rated 4-10.  I built it 4 summers ago to fish the chehalis summer runs but once the river changed our luck there died...I have this beautiful rod that should be put to better use.  Only issue is that its a spinnig/center pin rod. 

What weight of lure are you casting?  Is it weighted with split shot or something?  Sorry, I don't know much about kokanee fishing but what I can let you is that I cant see casting ultra lite gear on a bait cast reel being very easy. And for $150-200, you probably aren't going to get that high end a reel with a rod.  Are you set on a baitcsater?

If you are interested, give me an email: bctc@shaw.ca

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 06:00:18 AM »

Cord, for an ultralight baitcasting reel, check out Daiwa's Advantage. It is small, light, has a fairly small line capacity, excellent for a ultralight rod. Itosh purchased one a few months ago so he can provide some more input as well. The price is also just right, around $125 + tax at Reaction Fly and Tackle when he purchased it.

drift

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 07:49:17 AM »

Not sure if its much help but I have also heard great things about the Diawa Advantage.A friend uses it for coho and steelhead to cast out light spinners with no probs.I might be wrong but I think it comes with an extra spool so if you come into some bigger fish,you can have some heavier test handy to pop in.Might want to verify that with itosh though.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 04:37:21 PM »

thanks, yeah gooey i kinda of have my mind set on the bait casters. I think that Ill go with the diawa thanks but i still need to get a rod ;) any input on that?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 07:52:26 PM »

Last year, Chrome Mykiss purchased a very light baitcasting rod from Berry's Bait and Tackle. He used it for smallmouth bass at St Mary's Lake with a Shimano Curado spooled with 6lb on it. It looked great, he maybe able to tell more.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 08:33:56 PM »

The rod that Rodney is talking about is the Daiwa Spinmatic-X, 7ft ultralight, model: SM-X 702ULFB. It's definitely an awesome light bass/trout rod that is designed for baitcasters. It should make an excellent Kokanee rod aswell. It has a nice cork handle with a trigger seat and is rated for 2-6lb line. It's also a 2 piece rod, unlike alot of 1 piece bass rods. I can't exactly recall how much I paid for it, but I think it was under $75 ::)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 08:35:58 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 03:48:55 PM »

Thanks CM look like ill be copying your setup  ;)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 05:18:02 PM »

Not sure if its much help but I have also heard great things about the Diawa Advantage.A friend uses it for coho and steelhead to cast out light spinners with no probs.I might be wrong but I think it comes with an extra spool so if you come into some bigger fish,you can have some heavier test handy to pop in.Might want to verify that with itosh though.

I too own a Daiwa Advantage 150HL, I haven't tried it out yet but it's supposed to be a good reel for the money.  There is also a supertuned version that has a longer handle with bearings (this would be a good improvement as with most baitcasters the handle shaft on the base model is rather short and the handles are kind of stiff) , an extra bearing on the worm gear, and a lighter spool designed for casting light weighted lures and a metal drag star instead of plastic.  Both reels have micro click drag adjustment and externally adjustable magforce-Z braking system and one spool.  The spool on the base model has a larger line capacity than the supertuned version.  I've been told that the supertuned spool will fit the base model. Drift's friend probably upgraded to the ST spool or vice versa.  Mike Reel Repair sells the spools for about 50 bucks.