Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Colorado blades-how to fish?  (Read 10115 times)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Colorado blades-how to fish?
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:31:05 PM »

Im a noob pretty much at drift fishing still.How do you properly fish a blade drifting? Can you swing them so they spin? or just let them drift with the flow? thanks

Ribwart

Re: Colorado blades-how to fish?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:06:58 PM »

I find the best presentation is to have them "Flutter"...this seems to get the most strikes for me...I achieve this depending on the water I am fishing...

Fast water = Short float it, no tension, don't try to impart action at all
slower water = can have just the slightest, non-constant, tension on the line to swing it just a bit, but usually if the blade size and shape are right you can just short float it and still achieve that "flutter" to the blade...you usually can see the blade flashing slowly in the water if you are doing it right, but it doesn't really spin as such...

hope that helps,
rib

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 10:29:53 PM »

I like to hold back on my float a touch when fishing the tailout to allow the blade to lift off the bottom and swing to shore.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 10:09:10 AM »

i fish a lot of blades, probably 40% of my time on the water for salmon and steelhead is spent fishing blades. I used to rig up with the standard pencil lead rig but no more. I have seen success go up dramatically by using the following rig. I run 4 to 6 medium split shot depending on float size, right now on the vedder I would rig with a 4 1/2 " foam float or a number 3 drennan, then i pinch on 4 medium split shot starting 1 inch above the swivel then spacing 2 inches apart running up the line towards the float. This rig allows the blade ( and baits) to move more naturally with the current. I will generally run a 20 inch leader with this set up and have been using 10 lbs P-line CFX whenever i use blades as the hits are often violent. This works for me, anyways

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 12:38:36 PM »

That also sounds pretty productive! I might just throw on a colorado blade!!!!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 07:18:39 AM »

I have had as good success casting (and retrieveing) blades as I have had with blue foxes etc.  The only coho I heard of this Saturday when I was out, I hooked on a swivel spinner that  I was casting with my center pin. I had a drennan on, 5 split shot and 10lb maxima lead down to my spinner.   Sometimes I would cast and let it drift and sometimes I would just begin an immidiate retrieve.  The fish I hooked hit it close to shore on one of the immidiate retrieves. 

Blades are great as they work in all sorts of different conditions and work under a bunch of different presentations.  I think blades are to coho what the pink worm is to  steelhead...a really consistent bait that is easy to fish.

PS - when I am doing more retrieving than drifting, I like to use french blade, not a colorado. 

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 03:06:34 PM »

what is a good way to open up the hook eye, to make a homemade blade? I find it really hard just to bend the eye open, and when i do get it bending open it breaks the eye off, what is a good method? I dont have a clamp either, pliers werent holding.
The Bigger The Better!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 07:38:58 PM »

1)use split rings and just slip the hooks on!

2) i fish them under a float with pencil led, if i want just any fish i'll swing it through an area and i'll usually get a chum! But for coho i hold back as little as pissible just to let the blade spin slowly, and then hold on cus the fish hammer the blades hard! No 8 pound leader, 12 only!
Fish killer 101

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 12:32:11 AM »

what is a good way to open up the hook eye, to make a homemade blade? I find it really hard just to bend the eye open, and when i do get it bending open it breaks the eye off, what is a good method? I dont have a clamp either, pliers werent holding.

Use Siwash hooks

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 07:37:56 AM »

Big fisher, there are several ways of making a swivel spinner, you can use siwash hooks or octopus hooks...its really up to you.  One thing you need to consider is that you dont want the hook hidden behind the blade, you want to make sure it is clear of the blade and exposed.

Often people will use 2 barrel swivels, 2 split rings and a hook.  I like using one barrel swivel to which I attach a split ring.  then I add the blade and a SNAP swivel.  to the snap swivel I attach the hook.  I find the snap swivel distances the hook from the blade which ensures its good and exposed and I also find that you have more choices of hooks with a snap swivel as most octopus hooks have eyes that are too small for a split ring but are fine for a snap swivel.  As well, if you use a french blade (which is longer than a colorado) then the snap adds that critical distance getting the hook away fro the blade.