Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Boat  (Read 8111 times)

West

Re: New Boat
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 10:35:30 AM »

Mine is from year 1999 or 2000 and doesn't have a safe pressure valve.

Encouraging to know that they last up to 15 years, I was going to be happy with 5 at that price.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 02:37:18 PM »

I would WAY rather have a boat built to have a solid floor with a real transom;

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/5267610767.html
http://victoria.craigslist.ca/boa/5274135076.html

There are usually lots to choose from on Craigs.  I just sold mine a couple weeks ago for $500.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:39:50 PM by Damien »

West

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 02:49:29 PM »

I would WAY rather have a boat built to have a solid floor with a real transom;
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/5267610767.html
http://victoria.craigslist.ca/boa/5274135076.html
There are usually lots to choose from on Craigs.  I just sold mine a couple weeks ago for $500.

Those are more in line with a Boat tender, also double and triple the price.  I bet they weigh more than 75 pounds as well, making them somewhat challenging on a long hike to a mountain lake in the bush.   
Great if you have a trailer though and a ramp for water access.

Silver

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »

I've had the seyvelor/Intex boats and they are basically toys...fun but not really for fishing. They are spongy and soft, and the vinyl is easily punctured or damaged. The seams are also prone to failure in the corners.

Two local importers have Zodiac clones that are impressively built...they are real boats at 1/5 or less the cost of brand name boats.

Aquamarine Richmond

Stryker Burnaby

Also, Hideo is an outboard that is similar to Honda.

West

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 03:11:48 PM »

I've had the seyvelor/Intex boats and they are basically toys...fun but not really for fishing. They are spongy and soft, and the vinyl is easily punctured or damaged. The seams are also prone to failure in the corners.

Two local importers have Zodiac clones that are impressively built...they are real boats at 1/5 or less the cost of brand name boats.

Aquamarine Richmond

Stryker Burnaby

Also, Hideo is an outboard that is similar to Honda.

LOL no shortage of Boats in the $1,000 range.  Even nicer ones in the $2K - $5K range  ;) 

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 03:25:55 PM »

The ONLY time would consider one of those toy-ish, boat-in-a-box thing would be for putzing around a lake that had NO other option. 

The one I just sold on craigs for $500 was heavy duty, had the high pressure airdeck and all rolled up into a hockey bag, 60lbs.  Had a 5hp rating and was rock solid, hard transom, proper seat.  I bought it used, 7 years ago, for $500.   So even money, and got to use a good boat all along.

It was one of these, maxxon CS230;

http://www.iboats.com/Maxxon-CS-230-Inflatable-Boat-Maxxon-Inflatables/dm/cart_id.789621516--session_id.786832424--view_id.1024618

West

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 03:40:54 PM »

The ONLY time would consider one of those toy-ish, boat-in-a-box thing would be for putzing around a lake that had NO other option. 

The one I just sold on craigs for $500 was heavy duty, had the high pressure airdeck and all rolled up into a hockey bag, 60lbs.  Had a 5hp rating and was rock solid, hard transom, proper seat.  I bought it used, 7 years ago, for $500.   So even money, and got to use a good boat all along.

It was one of these, maxxon CS230;

http://www.iboats.com/Maxxon-CS-230-Inflatable-Boat-Maxxon-Inflatables/dm/cart_id.789621516--session_id.786832424--view_id.1024618

I like the 57 pound weight of the Maxxon.  But it's the same deal, new it's over a thousand US, the Mariner 3 was $169 US with a weight of 74 LB and 30 gage vinyl. 
Dobrolub has had his for over 15 years, if I get 5 out of mine I will be a happy fisher. 
The more you pay the more you get ... no mystery there, the trick is to get best in class.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:45:59 PM by West »

dobrolub

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 04:03:02 PM »

Given proper care this boat can last. I have a minn kota 40 on mine and find it sufficient for local smaller lakes. I'd say it's still pretty heavy to take on a hike.

But it's light enough to carry through the woods for 100 - 200 meters.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:08:37 PM by dobrolub »

West

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 11:41:20 AM »

Given proper care this boat can last. I have a minn kota 40 on mine and find it sufficient for local smaller lakes. I'd say it's still pretty heavy to take on a hike.
But it's light enough to carry through the woods for 100 - 200 meters.

Took it out yesterday to Deer Lake. 
Very sturdy, tracks well with the keel and gives a sense of security.  Takes about 15- 20 minutes to pump up.  The oar lock swivel mechanism hasn't got me totally convinced that it will last too long, hope I'm wrong on that one, although that part is available to buy if it brakes prematurely. 
It's pretty heavy to carry around all right, will have to choose my lakes carefully.  Also had to buy a separate LARGE bag for the floor slats as the original bag won't hold everything now.
So far so good  :)

* Junior also caught a small trout that we threw back.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 08:59:05 AM »

If anyone is in the market.  This is the best quality hypalon inflatable (Avon) for a smoking deal if the condition is even halfway decent.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/5296187518.html

I have no affiliation with the seller.  If I was in the market I would be on the first thing smoking to go pick this up.

dobrolub

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 09:25:58 AM »

Took it out yesterday to Deer Lake. 
Very sturdy, tracks well with the keel and gives a sense of security.  Takes about 15- 20 minutes to pump up.  The oar lock swivel mechanism hasn't got me totally convinced that it will last too long, hope I'm wrong on that one, although that part is available to buy if it brakes prematurely. 
It's pretty heavy to carry around all right, will have to choose my lakes carefully.  Also had to buy a separate LARGE bag for the floor slats as the original bag won't hold everything now.
So far so good  :)

* Junior also caught a small trout that we threw back.
I bought an electric pump at canadian tire and a bigger manual pump to speed up pumping. Bigger pump, two people pumping will cut down that pumping time.

The bag that comes with the boat is rubbish though, as you are saying.

Deer lake is one of my favourites in the spring .