Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Boat  (Read 8110 times)

West

New Boat
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »

Just picked up this 3 man inflatable.  Should make fishing a bit more fun and hopefully more productive as well   :)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: New Boat
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 04:15:40 PM »

Nice!

West

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:53:50 PM »

Nice!

I'm going to test it this weekend.  Apparently you can stand up on the rigid floor.

69Charger

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 05:29:31 PM »

I'm going to test it this weekend.  Apparently you can stand up on the rigid floor.

Not sure how stable that would be. Nice boat though! I was thinking of getting something similar as well, but not for the Fraser River. 

West

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 05:58:41 PM »

Not sure how stable that would be. Nice boat though! I was thinking of getting something similar as well, but not for the Fraser River.

Surprisingly, very stable.  The fibreglass floor slats are 4 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick.  This video of the guy fishing shows him standing up in it, and he looks to be about 210.
I wouldn't put it on the Fraser either ... lakes only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IExIQFNbg5Y

dobrolub

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 09:30:38 PM »

It's a nice boat, I own one of these. I am fishing it with my son; very stable boat as far as I can report.

One thing I wonder... would that boat be safe to drift the Vedder on from Tamihi?

West

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 09:42:02 PM »

It's a nice boat, I own one of these. I am fishing it with my son; very stable boat as far as I can report.

Good, quick question for you, how well does it hold air?  Can I leave it inflated for a week without air loss?

John Revolver

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 10:09:20 PM »

NICE!...Thats a beauty! dose it have the ability to take a electric motor?

I have my heart seat on finding a sevylor360 fishhunter and putting a floor in it. Ive seen lots of amazing examples online of tricked out quality rubber rafts.

I think for small/medium lakes Its the perfect way to go.

West

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 10:24:37 PM »

NICE!...Thats a beauty! dose it have the ability to take a electric motor?
I have my heart seat on finding a sevylor360 fishhunter and putting a floor in it. Ive seen lots of amazing examples online of tricked out quality rubber rafts.
I think for small/medium lakes Its the perfect way to go.

Yes, motor and transom is available for it. 
I also looked at the Sevylor 360, but the Mariner is PRO built in comparison and you can pick it up for only $169 US, that's a steal for me.
http://rubberboats.com/product/intex-mariner-3-inflatable-boat.html

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:27:27 PM by West »

John Revolver

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 10:34:58 PM »

Yes, motor and transom is available for it. 
I also looked at the Sevylor 360, but the Mariner is PRO built in comparison and you can pick it up for only $169 US, that's a steal for me.
http://rubberboats.com/product/intex-mariner-3-inflatable-boat.html

Thanks for the link!  That's an amazing deal.

Tottaly agree about build quality. I'd like to get an older great condition HF360 before coleman took over and build quality went downhill but this Intex looks pretty awesome!

dobrolub

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 10:55:07 PM »

Good, quick question for you, how well does it hold air?  Can I leave it inflated for a week without air loss?
Mine holds well over a day trip. I don't let it stay inflated unless I am using it though. The pressure in the tubes will fluctuate with temperature. One thing to keep in mind is that you don't want it overinflated. And that would mean you'd need to regulate the pressure as temperature changes. On a colder morning you might need to pump it up a bit. When sun comes out you might want to let some air out.

Inflating the boat takes a little bit of time, adjusting the pressure can be done quickly.

West

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »

Thanks, good tip on the air pressure.

ShaunO

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 09:27:53 AM »

I can't speak for this particular boat, but it's not uncommon for inflatables to have safety valves/pressure relief valves.  If there is some kind of circular mystery fitting on each compartment of the tubes, that is a safety valve.  And don't worry about your boat losing air over time, every inflatable loses air.  Every one!  I've spent a lot of time in a lot of RHIB's and the tubes got topped up daily.

dobrolub

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »

Mine is from year 1999 or 2000 and doesn't have a safe pressure valve. 

West

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »

I can't speak for this particular boat, but it's not uncommon for inflatables to have safety valves/pressure relief valves.  If there is some kind of circular mystery fitting on each compartment of the tubes, that is a safety valve.  And don't worry about your boat losing air over time, every inflatable loses air.  Every one!  I've spent a lot of time in a lot of RHIB's and the tubes got topped up daily.

No pressure valve on these.  Just looking at the manual, they have the DON'T OVER INFLATE in large font several times, I guess it's the main cause of seal failure.