Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crab Baits you have used  (Read 9012 times)

243Pete

Re: Crab Baits you have used
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »

Pellets, salmon guts that have been left in a bucket for a day, those frozen bags of smelt at Superstore, chicken skins, bones and a cheap can of cat food with lots of holes poked into it.

Salmon guts for me have been the best, gives them something to chew on for quite some time.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »

I save the heads by freezing them from the Salmon I catch through the summer and fall months. They work really well in the area where we go crabbing. Fresh cooked crab over a fire on the beach with a ice cold frosty beer is one of lifes finer moments!     ;D

RyanB

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 11:13:46 PM »

Salmon guts for me have been the best, gives them something to chew on for quite some time.

Put some bait in the mesh bag, and zap-strap or use wire to tie some bait outside the mesh bag.  They will latch onto the outside bait and be less likely to get away as you pull the trap.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

VA7DDP

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 11:13:55 PM »

I also like to add herring to the mix; We buy it when the Annual Herring Sale is held by "Fisherman Helping Kids with Cancer". It's $10 for a 20lb Bag; sale usually occurs near the end of November.

https://www.facebook.com/fishermenhelpingkidswithcancer

The herring does attract more seals but we have never had an issue. We did however pull a dogfish out of our traps.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 08:46:48 PM »

I thought everyone fished judging by the crowds on the Vedder during Salmon season, even this Steelhead season for that matter! Lol  :o

kanuckle head

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 09:30:14 PM »

Cheap canned sardines with holes punched in the can or canned cat food, the oilier the better. but a Salmon head or it's carcass pinned on the outside of the bait holder for the crustaceans to keep um occupied & stay'n put

Works for me
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:33:01 PM by kanuckle head »

Dude

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »

Cheap canned sardines with holes punched in the can or canned cat food, the oilier the better. but a Salmon head or it's carcass pinned on the outside of the bait holder for the crustaceans to keep um occupied & stay'n put

Works for me

I have heard about canned sardines before as well. I was going to try that out in my next trip out.  been trying to get out for last two weeks but the rain hasnt been helping much.  Hoping for better weather.

bald_seagull

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 04:41:59 PM »

price mart sells 2 nasty leatherly looking undersized chickens in a bag for under 5$ which will do your traps and a buddies.
the guy at the king ed store will know what you mean if you go in and ask for the crab bait chickens

i just slice one right down the middle and use 3 zap straps to fix it firmly to the middle post
making sure its not up to high, which doesnt let your trap open

i seem to get more crab than the guys with the mesh bags because the crab can eat the bait
 quite easily
the only downside is if you zapstrap it too tightly the seal can get it off which result in a mangled trap

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »

Tried some old freezer burnt roe in small mesh bags, easly out fished the chicken. My new favorite bait.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 10:11:53 PM »

Has anyone tried wild duck with any luck??