Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Now that steelhead season is over ( not counting flyfishing ) how did...  (Read 5934 times)

SteelheadAdict

43 trips and counting i still can chuk flys lol and my total was 38 fish landed and 5 lost this year was by far my best landing year lol

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

I wasn't aware that steelhead season stopped...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Were you aware it even started? Did the float go down yet?
The Bigger The Better!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Do you guys have like a piece of paper you keep a tally on?

Every Day

• Old Timer

I just jot down at the end of every day hours fished, fish caught, and where I went.
Just a word file that I throw down every trip of the year.
I find it helps year to year to see number fluctuations. Kinda cool to see how long diff gear lasts and stuff as well.

Also helps a lot in planning trips easily, as I can look back and see when different rivers were fishing well while others weren't. Biggest factor is also water heights... I plan my trips around water height a lot, and it's hard to remember that a few years later...

hue-nut

• Old Timer

I sense sarcasm. Lol. It does sound funny to keep a tally however I have yet to meet a rod that does not keep track when it comes to Steelhead. Many of them are not going to post on a forum how many but they do know and share that with their buddies. That fact alone indicates to me how special these fish are. I think at some point most rods stop counting the number of salmon they hook. I remember off the top of my head the total number of steelhead I have hooked, for every year that I have been steel heading (5 seasons) This year was my best year to date, despite so many people complaining about few fish.

clarki

• Old Timer

I bet they do. I keep a detailed journal of my season fishing for sea run cutthroat off the beach. I can tell you the date, the tide, water and weather conditions, how many fish were hooked, how many were landed, wild vs hatchery, their size, fishing pressure, and anything esle notable. While I don't fish for steelhead, not doubt I would display the same OCD tendencies :)   A "Write in the Rain" all weather notebook can be handy.       

DionJL

• Old Timer

A "Write in the Rain" all weather notebook can be handy.       

Duksbak > Rite in the Rain.

clarki

• Old Timer

Duksbak > Rite in the Rain.
Rite you are! That's what I meant to type...

Sandman

• Old Timer

Yeah, its called your fishing license.  ;) Hang on to that old one too as they may ask you for survey info.  It was really easy for me to keep track this year, as of the dozen or so trips I made with the single hander, I ended the season (may get out once more) without a steelhead to the beach, although a few big dollies/bulltrout made a few trips enjoyable.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:26:00 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost