Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River Summer Run Square Tail????  (Read 7711 times)

Robert_G

Re: Vedder River Summer Run Square Tail????
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 05:06:17 PM »

I would say mended kelt as well. But definatley can't rule out a chehalis/coq/silverhope summer also without seeing it in person. Nice fish either way!

Agree with this.  That is no kelt. Also there is no summer run on Vedder. They are stragglers from the 3 systems mentioned.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 05:46:39 AM »

I say kelt. I have caught a bunch of summers in the past two months and none of them were long and skinny like that. Also talked to someone who works for fisheries today and they said its highly unlikley that its a stray and most likely a very late fish
So have I caught my fair share of summers this year. Long and skinny is their trade mark my friend. Makes it all the better to leap falls in the journey to the head waters! Development stage has not fully begun yet. Not spawning until next year! That pic is no kelt. As for the person from fisheries, chances are they have  no clue. Talk to the guys who fish. They have the answers! Seems to me there have been more summers every year, for the last few years on the Vedder. Me thinks they are making a slow come back. Oh wait a minute, me knows they are!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:49:11 AM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 07:14:26 AM »

Summers are hardy bodied, thick with lots of fat content, no where near sexual maturity, because they have to hold over till the spring to spawn. They are definitely not long and skinny. There is plenty of photo evidence to prove that.
Fish killer 101

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »

Well yg what are we comparing summer runs too. Are summers thicker and fatter than winters, or are they a little more slender? I am not saying they are bone racks. But then again summers do not feed in fresh water during the summer all the way to the following spring! They must just drink water to survive. ::) Be honest with me and the rest of the angling community and tell us how many summer runs you have caught in the Lower mainland and Vancouver Island over 10lbs and compare this with the winter runs over 10lbs caught in the same geo. Do not count the big T or Skeena! I will tell you that my total is less then 10 summers over 10lbs. As for winters over 10lbs well would you pass me the calculator!     
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

joshhowat

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 06:48:04 PM »

So today up at around prison hole plugging roe for springs at around 6 am switch to a prawn set up. Bang I hook up to a fish starts flying threw the air I'm thinking no way.  I land it and holy crap it's a summer run around 4 to 5 lbs. Best way to describe it was  like a super clean male pink thick and chunky. I have fished the vedder since around 16 and I'm 29 now and have never seen a summer run before in the chilliwack make me wonder.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »

4-5 lbs...are you sure?  I have had a number of 3-3.5 lb coho on the scale in the last month and your fish was no where the same size (girth inparticular).

"thick and chunky", that fish's head was bigger than its body, it was skinny as a rail!  I wont pretend to know more than the next person (and this site is full of experts) so I'll just say that fish is not like any summer I have ever hooked so like I said, my best guess is that fish was possibly a residualized steelhead smolt/resident rainbow? 

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »

Sh*t dude that is sweet!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 09:59:54 PM »

ive caught lots of summers and never one that skinny....that fish is fairly small( looks around 5-6lbs?) and look at its head in comparison to its body..its far too skinny
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 10:05:11 PM »

Atleast there a people on here that know what they look like. I have no further say...
Fish killer 101

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 12:17:23 AM »

Never was and never will be. The odd straggler from other systems and late mended kelts. Used to catch the odd hatch steelhead on the Gold when i fished there yrs ago.Never been a hacthery program on the Gold so the odd straggler from another system. It does happen on occasion.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »

Never was and never will be. The odd straggler from other systems and late mended kelts. Used to catch the odd hatch steelhead on the Gold when i fished there yrs ago.Never been a hacthery program on the Gold so the odd straggler from another system. It does happen on occasion.

I agree with this and what everyday is saying. Every year the fisheries down on the deschutes get tagged fish from Idaho in their hatchery, They will get clear water fish that decided for some reason to run up a different rivers. I was reading about fisheries noticing tagged fish being caught in other rivers and also moving up to other hatcheries. They did a study on it and decided that some fish will move up into other systems to smell the water and perhaps the water condition is better, colder, less silt. They also hypothesised that some fish decide the conditions of the river they pass are good and they are less discriminative about where they go. They noted that most of the fish that do this are hatchery.