Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: favorite out of the box roe cure  (Read 8347 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: favorite out of the box roe cure
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 11:56:55 PM »

Why do you cure roe? Is it just to make it harder so it's more usable as bait?

Yes, hardens/makes it firm so it stays on the hook better. Colouring makes it more visible.

Why the defensive tone?

Easy there FO. :D Tones are always difficult to interpret and often misunderstood when the messages are typed. :) I'm sure GM didn't mean it like that. ;D

Next time when you come fishing with roe, I want to see you in dish washing gloves. It would make a skunked day rather exciting. ;D

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 12:39:33 AM »

"Next time when you come fishing with roe, I want to see you in dish washing gloves. It would make a skunked day rather exciting. ;D"

You should have worn gloves when you took your Dad out recently. At least he would have been entertained. ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 12:44:39 AM by FishOn »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 05:22:01 AM »

Just Finished a batch of sockeye roe using Rodneys method. http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2004/1004_01.html
This is the first roe iv cured, hopefully it works out. ::).
The Bigger The Better!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 11:14:53 AM »

I met a guy on the river from back east last year while steelheading and he gave me some uncured roe sacks that looked dynamite.  They weresticky and quite firm.  He said uncured roe is best.  I have since tried freezing roe in ziplocks and vacuum bags but the roe loses it's color.  I think touching the roe with your bare hands before it is cured could definately make it less attractive to the fish since it is the smell of the eggs milking that attracts them to the bait and they find human odour quite offensive.  It doesn't matter so much if you touch the bait while rigging because the eggs won't have much of a chance to absorb the smell since they are covered in borax which will quickly wash off in the water.  If your worried about getting any scent on the eggs at all you can rub some anise oil on your hands but I don't bother.  I usually bring a small bucket along to wash my hands in unless I am planning on doing a lot of hiking.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:23:36 AM by Eagleye »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 01:12:48 PM »

Ok...couple questions...All the borax cures i've read they have added suger or salt and sodium solfide or bisolfide..(not sure of spelling on that)....I didn't know plain borax worked...

Also...i'm not preaching here or anything..as to be honest i'm doing my first batches for steelhead and mainly fly anyways...but i got a book called Egg cures..by amato books, they PREACH that you never touch your eggs by hand..always wear gloves..All the way from taking the eggs out of the fish to curing them..no human scent as it can deter the fish...Just throwing that out there as just about every one of the guys who put in their recipes harped on that point...and no blood, clean eggs...

You still have to use your bare hands when you attach the roe to the hook so the point about human scent doesn't make any sense. I do wear dish washing gloves when curing the roe to prevent my hands from turning bright red/pink.

I think they are more concerned with the scent on Roe coming out of the fish and processing it..human scent can get into the eggs..that said, when they put it on the hook they said just don't drop your roe in the water and then wash your hands upstream of it....Personally I could care less what you choose to do, just trying to pass on some worthwhile info.

Why the defensive tone? I was not criticising you for posting the information, just trying to understand the logic behind it and maybe spark further discussion on the importance or unimportance of human scent when processing roe. If I shot the messenger it was unintentional.

Sorry, no defensive tone intended...was reading it at work and was rushing through the reply...re-reading it I can see how it sounds that way...my apoligies!!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 01:32:49 PM »

Fresh roe outfishes frozen roe, hands down (and somehow off). I use to buy the fresh stuff for bar fishing the lower Fraser and it always outfished older or cured roe.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

sliverbullet

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 04:03:43 PM »

my meathod salt and sugar then dry  :)

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 08:23:27 PM »

Ok...couple questions...All the borax cures i've read they have added suger or salt and sodium solfide or bisolfide..(not sure of spelling on that)....I didn't know plain borax worked...

Also...i'm not preaching here or anything..as to be honest i'm doing my first batches for steelhead and mainly fly anyways...but i got a book called Egg cures..by amato books, they PREACH that you never touch your eggs by hand..always wear gloves..All the way from taking the eggs out of the fish to curing them..no human scent as it can deter the fish...Just throwing that out there as just about every one of the guys who put in their recipes harped on that point...and no blood, clean eggs...

You still have to use your bare hands when you attach the roe to the hook so the point about human scent doesn't make any sense. I do wear dish washing gloves when curing the roe to prevent my hands from turning bright red/pink.

I think they are more concerned with the scent on Roe coming out of the fish and processing it..human scent can get into the eggs..that said, when they put it on the hook they said just don't drop your roe in the water and then wash your hands upstream of it....Personally I could care less what you choose to do, just trying to pass on some worthwhile info.

Why the defensive tone? I was not criticising you for posting the information, just trying to understand the logic behind it and maybe spark further discussion on the importance or unimportance of human scent when processing roe. If I shot the messenger it was unintentional.

Sorry, no defensive tone intended...was reading it at work and was rushing through the reply...re-reading it I can see how it sounds that way...my apoligies!!

Apology accepted and appreciated.  :)

So when are you going to try out your first batch of roe? Looking forward to the fishing report.

fullahead

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 08:35:49 AM »

Xgolfman
               is the book by Scott Haugen? Very informative book. And I have the same questions about, Sodium  Bisulfite?

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 11:46:07 AM »

try looking for the Pro Cure video on curing roe. Lots of different cures in there and shows what the eggs look like and different stages of curing. I tried one cure using the following 1/3 Pautzke's Cure, 1/3 borax and 1/3 sugar I then added Anise oil to some and Anchovy oil on some others so the scent gets sucked back into the eggs when curing. Eggs came out real nice. The borax helps stop mold from growing on your eggs if left in the fridge too long. Sea Run, Riverside  and Highwater Tackle have the video.
 Also have used the Beau Mac "Pro Glow" egg cure with good success for using right out of the bottle.