Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: favorite out of the box roe cure  (Read 8346 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
favorite out of the box roe cure
« on: September 09, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »

Just so you don't have to give any secrets away, what's your favorite "out of the box" egg cure.  My favorite so far is double red/non-staining Last Supper from Pro Cure for springs and either natural or pink for steelhead.  I haven't used any other brands, but would like to know if anything is better.  Has anyone used Ammerman's? 

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: favorite out of the box roe cure
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 10:48:12 AM »

Well, I haven't really tried much, as the regular old borax has always worked well for me.  Natural color has been great to me and I haven't had the need to change it up yet.  I seem to get the color I like out of the roe just going by the drying time. ;D  I guess you could call me a naturalist.  ;D I have used colored borax though, doesn't seem to to much for the color though, other than turn my hands orange!! ??? ::) ;D Can't remember the name of that stuff at the moment though.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 12:10:49 PM »

I've tried Amerman's. No better than ProCure. All hype.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 08:29:46 PM »

I just finished drying out some more ore, I now have plenty after getting lucky on the last few trips!!  Chopped it up and just dropped it into a bag full of regular old Borax.  Did the same on Saturday with my first batch, and the firsts batch looks awesome.  Can't wait to use it next Sunday!!  All of it was done natural, but with the drying times, it has a real nice bright orange look to it and should work great.  But we will see about that!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

drift

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 10:10:36 AM »

dishwashing gloves work well for keeping your hands stain free. :)

rob.l

• Pick up your trash boys and girls!!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 10:16:22 AM »

How long do you let the roe dry for?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 11:50:58 AM »

Depends on what type of eggs you want and the weather conditions. If you want softer eggs, couple of hours might suffice depending on where you dry your eggs. Overnight and upwards to 24 hours if you want harder eggs. Longer if you are drying them in a cool place.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 12:58:05 PM »

Ok...couple questions...All the borax cures i've read they have added suger or salt and sodium solfide or bisolfide..(not sure of spelling on that)....I didn't know plain borax worked...

Also...i'm not preaching here or anything..as to be honest i'm doing my first batches for steelhead and mainly fly anyways...but i got a book called Egg cures..by amato books, they PREACH that you never touch your eggs by hand..always wear gloves..All the way from taking the eggs out of the fish to curing them..no human scent as it can deter the fish...Just throwing that out there as just about every one of the guys who put in their recipes harped on that point...and no blood, clean eggs...

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 01:59:02 PM »

water salt and red food colouring makes the best roe I think
I have tried the red hot and others and i never get the results I want, KISS

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 02:58:01 PM »

i also just order that book from amazon how do you find it,I've heard the samething about handling the roe with gloves.still new to curing thing all together but that makes sense,can't wait till i can cure a killer batch for the Ho's, i hope  ::)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 03:01:28 PM by scruffy »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 03:52:06 PM »

I sincerly doubt handling some chum roe ,that human scent is going to overpower the stink that comes off the roe. Especially if it's been in a container in the hot sun all day. I have a hard anough time getting the smell off my hands. Maybe thats what they meant.

Mule Team and nothing else, seems to have worked the past 30 years.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 05:22:38 PM »

Ok...couple questions...All the borax cures i've read they have added suger or salt and sodium solfide or bisolfide..(not sure of spelling on that)....I didn't know plain borax worked...

Also...i'm not preaching here or anything..as to be honest i'm doing my first batches for steelhead and mainly fly anyways...but i got a book called Egg cures..by amato books, they PREACH that you never touch your eggs by hand..always wear gloves..All the way from taking the eggs out of the fish to curing them..no human scent as it can deter the fish...Just throwing that out there as just about every one of the guys who put in their recipes harped on that point...and no blood, clean eggs...

You still have to use your bare hands when you attach the roe to the hook so the point about human scent doesn't make any sense. I do wear dish washing gloves when curing the roe to prevent my hands from turning bright red/pink.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 06:29:51 PM »

i also just order that book from amazon how do you find it,I've heard the samething about handling the roe with gloves.still new to curing thing all together but that makes sense,can't wait till i can cure a killer batch for the Ho's, i hope  ::)

Great book, lots of good recipes.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 06:32:59 PM »

You still have to use your bare hands when you attach the roe to the hook so the point about human scent doesn't make any sense. I do wear dish washing gloves when curing the roe to prevent my hands from turning bright red/pink.

I think they are more concerned with the scent on Roe coming out of the fish and processing it..human scent can get into the eggs..that said, when they put it on the hook they said just don't drop your roe in the water and then wash your hands upstream of it....Personally I could care less what you choose to do, just trying to pass on some worthwhile info.

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 10:35:39 PM »

I think they are more concerned with the scent on Roe coming out of the fish and processing it..human scent can get into the eggs..that said, when they put it on the hook they said just don't drop your roe in the water and then wash your hands upstream of it....Personally I could care less what you choose to do, just trying to pass on some worthwhile info.

Why the defensive tone? I was not criticising you for posting the information, just trying to understand the logic behind it and maybe spark further discussion on the importance or unimportance of human scent when processing roe. If I shot the messenger it was unintentional.