Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crabbing  (Read 3303 times)

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
Crabbing
« on: July 18, 2005, 04:42:06 PM »

Im thinkin of heading out crabbing tommorw.. taking my brother and sister for a ride in the boat. I live in richmond and thinking of heading out to Twassen since its close to home. I am woundering wat is the bait of choice..and what depth of water am i looking for.

Thanks DaN

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: Crabbing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 04:47:49 PM »

Ive tried all sorts of baits, found that the best is chicken backs and neck, can get a bag of them at the chinese market up the street for 2 or 3 bucks, dont be shy with the bait either, I load my traps up with three or four big peices, unfortunatly last weekend I lost track of time fishing and when we went to check the traps all the meat was eaten and the crabs had all escaped. I dont put my traps any deeper than 50 feet, too much work pulling it up, have caught alot of crab dropping them in 10 to 20 feet also.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 04:50:39 PM »

What type of traps were you using that the crabs escaped ?

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 04:54:48 PM »

Does anyone know where the boat lauch is Twassen?? Thanks for the quick replys..

DaN

No_way

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 04:55:47 PM »

Same...  I always used chicken; it lasts a long time.  But fish heads are really popular too, you just have to be sure to check them soon enough  ;)

I'd put several traps at several depths.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 05:18:50 PM »

I use the square box traps, but they have seen better days, getting pretty rusty. Sometimes the doors stay open, and the ring for the escape on top got lost so they can always crawl out the top. Time for some new traps I think. Mind you if there is bait in the trap there are no worries as the crabs wont leave until its done.

pnKroK

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 07:33:04 PM »

there is a launch down at the south side of the road onto the ferries.

There is ample parking on the gravel road and all that.

Just make sure you go at high tide, its ALOT of work to get out there if its low tide.

Go out to the rock breaker type thing and drop your traps, you'll see all the other traps out there!  Its not too deep there either, probably about 30' or so.

You can leave your traps down for about an hour or two and whammoo...you'll get lots o crabs.

i've had WAY more success there than up indian arm.  Lots of red rock crab up indian arm, but lots of dungeoness(sp?) at the ferries.

I use chicked and fish heads.

Good luck!

-rob C

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 10:59:23 PM »

Thanks alots guys..

DaN