Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: old roe ????  (Read 3462 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
old roe ????
« on: July 17, 2005, 05:13:34 PM »

is old roe , which has been pro cured any good? this is last seasons frozen chum roe , if i thaw it out will i be able to use it for springs in the vedder ?

No_way

Re: old roe ????
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 05:17:16 PM »

yes

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 08:07:19 PM »

STURGY BAIT

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 09:11:12 PM »

can you use any roe that was vacuum packed 3 months old but not pro cure yet(fresh packed).if still can use,what is the best way to cured,can you use salt??

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 09:20:44 PM »

It is generally a good idea to cure your roe before freezing. Having said that, yes you can cure it with coarse salt (not table salt)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 09:34:38 PM »

Yup, that roe is something else !!  I'm going to cure my roe that way in the fall.

No_way

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 09:37:53 PM »

The age of the roe isn't as big an issue as the condition of the roe.  I've seen roe that turned to junk after a week in the freezer, and I've seen roe that was frozen very well, used years later and caught fish.  Thaw it in the fridge, look at it and smell it.  If it looks good and smells good, it's good.  If it's gone brown and stinks to high heaven then it's not as good.  I'd still use it (I'm cheep).  Back when there were good numbers of coho in the Fraser we used some pretty funky stuff and caught lots of fish, and coho are as picky as they come.

As for whether or not to cure it before freezing, I think it's a matter of preference.  After all, regardless of the quality of roe, it goes through some really drastic chemical/physical changes when it's cured.  That's why we cure it.

So, forget about how long it's been frozen, look and smell, and go from there.  

Above all else, keep it nice and cold when you take it to the river.  Even the best roe turns into the worst roe after a few hour in the hot weather!

Great luck!

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 11:06:33 PM »

CF, so how do you cure your roe.  ???
I like ROE