Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: illegal fishing at scale bar  (Read 9352 times)

allwaysfishin

illegal fishing at scale bar
« on: July 14, 2005, 06:18:59 PM »

reports are coming in that "many" anglers are fishing above the triangle boundary signs at scale bar.
CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, BUT..... is the area above the markers not closed all the way to the hope bridge?????
Yesterday 6 springs were hooked well above the boundary, in closed waters, the springs were landed below the boundary signs and then killed. DFO had a member present, watching for incidental sockeye catch, and when other anglers spoke directly with him about this he said that he did not have the authority to act, even though he did WITNESS and recognize that these fisherman (poachers in my book) were indeed fishing in a closed area AND KILLING FISH HOOKED IN A CLOSED AREA!!!!!!!
If you are one of these "POACHERS" beware, honest ethical anglers are watching and if DFO won't act, the can of bearspray may just settle the problem. I know these are strong words but believe me...... we will be watching and acting.

the_pict

• glenmorangie- fishing -triumph motorcycles
Re: illegal fishing at scale bar
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 06:50:42 PM »

honest and ethical fishermen , whats ethical about threating poachers with bear spray , if theres a dfo guy there he should get some one there with authority to bust these wankers ,and why doesnt he have the authority

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 06:57:30 PM »

because thats not what his job is  :P
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 07:00:17 PM »

If not, then what exactly is their job ? ???

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 07:07:05 PM »

how do you get to scale bar i wna try it out? its walk in acess right?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 07:24:37 PM »

If not, then what exactly is their job ? ???

To monitor fishing pressure, catch rates and whether or not people are fishing selectivly.
Actions speak louder than words.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 07:29:32 PM »

o.k. point taken about the bear spray , i was pretty hot when typing this post.  :D  but good grief, what the hell is going on when people can't obey simple boundary signs and the DFO folks won't act..... blows my freakin mind

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 07:51:33 PM »

trust me alwaysfishing....we feel your pain!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 09:19:59 PM »

hi ,alwaysfishin,i can feel for you,but dont take it in your own hands,thats illegal too.Just get the information and report,lets get the dfo do their works

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 09:31:52 PM »

lol can someone plese help me out with some direections to scale bar?

miketheflyguy

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 10:51:47 PM »

I dunno its reely scarey there........ :D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 11:16:28 PM »

reely reely scary....... it's cursed you know  :o

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 07:21:22 AM »

Does anyone know WHY that area is closed??  I dot like the fact that people fish above that boundry sign but there are much worse thing DFO should be watching. 

That boundry sign was put there to deter fishermen from using that piece of beach which boarders on private property.  There was complaints of litter, fishermen uninating and deficating in the bushes behind that run (which is private property), people were crossing thru private property to get to the run,  not to mention the fights.  All the hot heads seemed to jam up into the fast deep seem at the top of the run (for the springs).

I think that if these guys break one law they propably are more likely to break another so I am disappointed that the officer didnt do what they tell us to do: OBSERVE, RECORD, REPORT!

pinkwool

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 11:25:56 AM »

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, BUT..... is the area above the markers not closed all the way to the hope bridge?????
Nope. The immediate triangle area above triangles is closed - up to the southern end of Croft Island, not all the way to the bridge. It was initially upto the bridge, but year later they reopenned the Croft Island.
As for the bar itself, it's still good in open area and producing nice chinooks (albeit more whites this year as reds) and we have met a couple of DFO officers yesterday at the bar - a very positive sign.

nineweight

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 11:45:02 AM »

reports are coming in that "many" anglers are fishing above the triangle boundary signs at scale bar.
Yesterday 6 springs were hooked well above the boundary, in closed waters, the springs were landed below the boundary signs and then killed. DFO had a member present, watching for incidental sockeye catch, and when other anglers spoke directly with him about this he said that he did not have the authority to act, even though he did WITNESS and recognize that these fisherman (poachers in my book) were indeed fishing in a closed area AND KILLING FISH HOOKED IN A CLOSED AREA!!!!!!!
If you are one of these "POACHERS" beware, honest ethical anglers are watching and if DFO won't act, the can of bearspray may just settle the problem. I know these are strong words but believe me...... we will be watching and acting.

Um I'm all for following regulations, and obviously wouldnt fish in a closed area either.  But you are indeed very pationate about protecting the residents back yard??? the only reason the top part of the scale bar is closed is because, the very top end in the bushes is privatley owned and the owner complained about the litter and trespassing.  Again, obviously I would follow the rules and not fish there either.  But usually fisherman save the bearspray threats etc for infractions causing a little more of an effect on our fishery, not for someone trespassing on someones back yard...

Of course the top part of the scale bar is the most effective place to fish for springs, but this is NOT why it is closed.  Thrtr are many more productive bars, and you dont see the most productive sections shut down.

Just something to think about, again not condoning what they did.  Just pointing out that, that section is not closed for conservation reasons, more for land reasons.