Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sumas River First Nation chinook salmon net opening  (Read 18735 times)

avid angler

Re: Sumas River First Nation chinook salmon net opening
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2020, 10:57:04 AM »

Wild man I noticed you said the lower returns were mostly due to higher catch rate in river. That is a 100% hard no. The red spring fishery makes steelheading look like pink season. I would be shocked if there was more then 100 killed by rec guys each year. The only time it would be higher then that is in years long past when there used to be a few thousand come back combined with lower water. I participate in this fishery almost daily and it really isn’t that productive.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2020, 11:02:30 AM »

Wild man I noticed you said the lower returns were mostly due to higher catch rate in river. That is a 100% hard no. The red spring fishery makes steelheading look like pink season. I would be shocked if there was more then 100 killed by rec guys each year. The only time it would be higher then that is in years long past when there used to be a few thousand come back combined with lower water. I participate in this fishery almost daily and it really isn’t that productive.

I was talking about the fall chinook numbers last year (returned to hatchery) compared to previous years (2018- 13811 VS
2019- 5664). I removed the comment because i though it would confuse people looks like Ralph quoted me before i removed it. 

You will note in my post that the returns of summer chinook to the hatchery last year were higher than previous years.

sorry for the confusion and thanks for the clarification
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 11:13:46 AM by wildmanyeah »

stsfisher

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2020, 11:14:03 AM »

You know, I may just have to get my my a.. out there in the boat tonight, seems to me there must be a sh.. load of excess fish coming.
3.4 days with no daylight restrictions for up to 4 nets, hmmmm.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2020, 12:17:44 PM »

here is some summary info. about this fishery that gets underway today.

•       Reminder that  Info./ details re: the fishery are posted to DFO website at the following link http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/abor-autoc-eng.html#Lower_Fraser_River

Is it known what the allocation is or if there is a specific target?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2020, 04:27:18 PM »

Hi All – please note the following info. regarding this fishery that gets underway today.

•             Tier 3 call (DFO/Sumas FN/SFAB) regarding this fishery took place on 13.Jul.

•             SFAB Reps were posting info. about this fishery thru various media portals

•             Sumas FN to release a press release about their fishery

•             DFO is also working on signage to be posted

•             DFO and Sumas FN have been working on some of the finer details regarding the fishing plan. As an initial step, the high level details includes a fishery Thursday to Sunday for up to 4 nets with catch          monitoring.  C&P and RCMP are expected to be on the grounds to support this initial fishery

•             DFO and Sumas  will meet 20.Jun. to review the fisheries details to develop the fishing plan going forward

•             Next Tier 3 call planned for 21.Jun.

•             Limited Participation Licence has been issued to Sumas First Nation to harvest Chinook Salmon using up to 4 set gillnets with 8” (inches) mesh or greater on the Sumas/Vedder River from Keith Wilson            Bridge to the confluence of the Fraser River from Thursday, July 16 at 12:00 pm to Sunday, July 19 at 9:00 pm

•             Reminder that  Info./ details re: the fishery are posted to DFO website at the following link: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/abor-autoc-eng.html#Lower_Fraser_River

Please feel free to forward this info. to others.

BARBARA MUELLER

Resource Management, Fraser and Interior Area
Pacific Region Fisheries and Oceans Canada

barbara.mueller@dfo-mpo.gc.ca |Tel. 604.666.2370

stsfisher

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2020, 05:11:50 PM »

Is it known what the allocation is or if there is a specific target?

As many as they can in the 3.4days is what I am gathering.

stsfisher

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2020, 05:17:45 PM »

Funny eh, RCMP are going to be on hand to assist with the fishery. Are they expecting conflict? What is the reason for this? Is this now a closed area to recreactional fishers, boaters, tubers?
I can,t get RCMP to show when I call about shots fired in very close proximity to the trans Canada trail in a no firearms location beside the chilliwack river rd. But they will park themselves on the river for 3 days to assist in the gill netting pilot project?
Is this to protect everyone? Or intimidate other users other than fn gill net workers?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2020, 06:04:27 PM »

And so it starts. Summer Red springs now. Fall Chinook and coho to follow. Fraser closed to salmon fishing for us and they supposedly not getting enough Fraser River salmon so now FN will go after the only decent fishery we have left. The end of the sports salmon fishery in the Fraser Valley is on the horizon ladies and gentleman. I grew up fishing the Fraser River with my Dad showing me the ropes. It was a way of life.  My dad and his friends be rolling over in their graves to know of what it has become.  :'(

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »

Is there any data to show when the sturgeon spawning in the sumas canal actually migrate back out of the system and Into the Fraser ?Hopefully they have all made it out . Many of theses fish are perfect size to become entangled in this 8” mesh .

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »

Fishery must not be very eventful, have not seen any pictures online

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2020, 04:44:11 PM »

Fishery must not be very eventful, have not seen any pictures online
I think Chris will be right, not a lot of effort will go into this now, but it's great practice for later. 

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2020, 05:44:52 PM »

I think Chris will be right, not a lot of effort will go into this now, but it's great practice for later.

I heard all they caught on the first day was 1 chinook.

stsfisher

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »

Found them: https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CeremonialOpeningTimes.html

Another opening on the Vedder.
Wonder if any data on the pilot fishery last week is available to the public?
I do see some fish were caught by recreational fishers after the nets where removed.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2020, 08:36:58 PM »

Seeing as most 70+ percent  of the Chinook run should be in and or winding down... what’s the target species through august ? Is it not possible for the fn people to create a separate fishery off the sumas with a hatchery ? Surely they can use their licence fees and find the resources ! There’s a few  creeks and sections  connected to the sumas that have proved valuable spawning habitat  for For chum and coho alike . Why not create and mange their own fishery ....