Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder coho questions  (Read 4880 times)

fish fear me

vedder coho questions
« on: October 09, 2015, 10:24:12 PM »

I am taking my son to the vedder either tomorrow or Monday but had a few questions. The first being that we have some cured roe in borax we bought last year that has been thawed and frozen a few times (hasn't turned to mush yet) it still smells and is firm but I wanted to make sure using old roe doesn't cause any major problems. The second is we have a couple croc spoons like the ones Rodney used in his vedder coho vid, is it worth trying these or is roe just better. The last is, this is are second trip to the vedder and our first for coho so any tips on where on the river to find coho or pretty much any other knowledge your willing to share would be much appreciated. (we would also be interested in catching any other edible fish in the river but aren't aware of any others present, but probably not Chinook as our gear isn't heavy enough). Thanks. 

salmonrook

Re: vedder coho questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:41:26 PM »

The roe will work but it is labour intensive to maintain on the hook,plus the smell. The croc spoons are a good bet and they are easier to cast and maintain especially for your son .
 I have caught trout ,jacks and good size wild coho(adipose fin attached) with good success with the croc spoons .You can start anywhere from the canal up past the campsite to the crossing .If you go to Freds tackle they used have a good map showing some good accessible spots ,although for greater success I would stay below the Vedder bridge .
 Good Luck, hope your son catches the fishing bug !

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:48:55 PM »

check the river graph as well. apparently lots of rain yet none here in langley.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 07:21:53 AM »

not much rain overnight ,river dropping and still low. might get lots of rain today but seems to be north of the valley.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 01:54:01 PM »

hardly rained at all today.....just a couple of quick downpours here in the wack.....very mild too.

farky

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 04:34:14 PM »

Coming down in buckets now .

fish fear me

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 08:49:22 PM »

ended up going today got skunked :'( but had fun found we had a low pro bait caster with 20lb braid so we where targeting springs. Might go back next week will springs still be edible then? And what will be the most prominent fish in the river then? We didn't leave empty handed thou found 3 pounds of spring roe and a nice gerber knife on the shore.

hrenya

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 12:35:02 AM »

I never freeze roe :) if I buy/catch fresh stuff and make it(cure/borax/salt) I NEVER freeze it if I fish in a couple of days ... if I wont - I give it away ....

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 06:53:07 AM »

That's your loss I guess. I caught my first 2 coho this year on year old sockeye roe.

fisherforever

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 03:55:53 PM »

ended up going today got skunked :'( but had fun found we had a low pro bait caster with 20lb braid so we where targeting springs. Might go back next week will springs still be edible then? And what will be the most prominent fish in the river then? We didn't leave empty handed thou found 3 pounds of spring roe and a nice gerber knife on the shore.
You should post that Gerber knife in the Lost and Found section on this site. The owner would probably want it back and get yourself some good karma by returning it to the owner.

Nitroholic

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:00:26 PM »

I lost my Gerber Flik multitool on the upper the other day, wouldn't mind it back