Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: something other than salmon... at Cap mouth/Ambleside park September 19  (Read 5238 times)

No_way

Re: something other than salmon... at Cap mouth/Ambleside park September 19
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2005, 11:59:59 AM »

LOL!!  I when through this exact thing when I first started dropping a line from the dock by my house.  Those in the picture are certainly white spotted greenlings.  I know this because I catch them all the time.  At first I thought they were male Kelp Greenlings, but when I was pulling eggs out of them I was forced to reexamine the situation.  They are good fun, tasty and easy to catch; though they don't seem to get very big (other than tiny ones, most seem to be between 10 and 12 cm). 

White spotted greenling can be distinguished from male kelp greenling by the fact that they have spots evenly for the full length of the body (rather than concentrated towards the front of the body like a Kelp Greenling).  And the iridescent patches are really only found on the eye ridges.

Anyone interested in this thread might like this older one:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=7047.0

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2005, 12:25:28 PM »

They are good fun, tasty and easy to catch; though they don't seem to get very big (other than tiny ones, most seem to be between 10 and 12 cm). 

Maximum Recorded Size: 61 cm (24 inches)

don't forget juveniles will always live in sheltered bays to avoid or minimize encounters with larger predators.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2005, 08:40:06 PM »

i have caught them to 14 inches at belcarra. although that was pretty rare
weeeeeeeeeow!