Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Opening Date On The Fraser  (Read 5784 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Sockeye Opening Date On The Fraser
« on: June 22, 2004, 07:29:16 PM »

Even though I do not go after Sockeye due to my personal choice not to angle this way for them ::), I thought in keeping this web site as the best and up to date I would post this.

Through a very good sourse of information it looks like sockeye could open as early as July 16th but more likely on July 23rd. It looks like it will run for about a month to August 23 but as you know FOC can open and close at will.

Also to protect the Cultus Lake Sockeye a boundary marker will placed some where above the confluence of the Sumas to protect these fish, it could be placed around Grassy but I would think that would be way to high. The powers to be will be going out on the water this Monday to decide. Please do not get to worked up about this and start making phone calls to FOC about this as there is very good representation from the Fraser Valley Salmon Society on these decisions.

FVSS your voice for fresh water fishing on the Fraser River.

Check out their web site for the latest news.

Good luck for those that will be after these sockeye, for me the good Doctor and a few others it will be bar fishing for those 20 pound plus springs and who knows we may even have a sockeye grab our #2 Doctors as I have caught maybe 2 or 3 in thirty years of bar fishing for springs. ;D

Tomorrow I plan to spend the whole day bar fishing as I finally have Leaf Craft safely home from the hospital and she is ready to roll out of Island 22 bright and early on another fishing adventure as we go for spring #5. ;D ;D ;D

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re:Sockeye Opening Date On The Fraser
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 07:33:35 PM »

have a great trip and dont forget the tarp ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 07:38:28 PM »

who knows we may even have a sockeye grab our #2 Doctors as I have caught maybe 2 or 3 in thirty years of bar fishing for springs. ;D

We all know that sockeyes don't bite Chris ? ;D ;D

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 07:39:47 PM »

my buddy that taught me spoon fishing can catch em on spoons(litle cleo watermelon)

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 07:40:32 PM »

They will bite for a Leaf craft
"One man of courage makes a majority"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 07:42:11 PM »

have a great trip and dont forget the tarp ;D
Good memory hey Ray and it will be very hot out there tomorrow. I think the fishing should be hot too.

I see the Fraser is starting to rise at South Fort George again? Rain?

You should come for another trip later this year. I like annual events and Gwyn needs a new pole. ;D Now that as not nice. ;D ;D (inside joke guys and Ray may expand on it if he wishes)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 07:50:18 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 07:49:16 PM »

who knows we may even have a sockeye grab our #2 Doctors as I have caught maybe 2 or 3 in thirty years of bar fishing for springs. ;D

We all know that sockeyes don't bite Chris ? ;D ;D
Not sure if you are serious or not but they have taken a spinning glow when bar fishing. As I mentioned I have caught 2 or 3 myself over the 30 years and I am sure other long time bar fishers will agree.

As I have stated before when the Harrison River was open for a couple of years we got them to take krill and small ghost shrimp by short floating. This was great sport and have a great video of Nick and I limiting out one day.

By the way thanks for the Lions 2 for 1 tickets. What would be a good game to go too as have not followed the teams yet?.

Dynamite kid

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 07:59:07 PM »

Ever seen a guy fish for sox with a Silex?I have many times and his name is _ _ _ g. ;D

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 08:00:37 PM »

laughing out loud.some of it aimed at my self ;D
let me know esp if spoon fishing is involved,though Im dying to buy my first drift rod and flyrod soon ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 08:18:02 PM »

Chris: Don't want to be accused of hijacking this thread but any game should be exciting this year. The Lions have a high powered offence. It's going to an exciting season as we roll on toward a 5th Grey Cup championship. Just to keep it fishing related it's my opinion that sockeyes do bite. For years experts claim that sockeyes are strictly plankton feeders, yet they are catching them in Port Alberni, the mouth of the Fraser and other areas on red hoochies. You can catch them in the Harrison on krill as you stated. Having said all that, I will concede that alot of sockeyes are also flossed. How's that for sitting on the fence ? ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 09:45:36 PM »

Max, you mean the Toronto Are No Goods !

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 10:53:51 AM »

;)thanx for the info chris will be looking forwards to the opening as sockeye is my fav next to coho. will try the spoon method as no bar fishin gear ;D >:( >:( ::) :P

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 12:17:20 PM »

I CAN HEAR THE GONG BELL RINGING !

FishKid

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 12:57:53 PM »

My ears,  it's much too loud >:(

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 02:39:42 PM »

IT'S ALWAYS A GONG SHOW DURING SOCKEYE SEASON !