Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, November 11th 2011  (Read 4830 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, November 11th 2011
« on: November 11, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »

Decided to go back to the Vedder hoping for maybe an early steelhead.

Avoided the North side because the crowd was just getting to me...30 cars for a small river system was just too much.

So, got down to the canal and fished the couple of runs below the KWB.

My first fish on was a bright coho jack of about 15".

My second fish took me by surprised as I was drifting really closed in. Like I said, I was hunting for steelhead.

This bullet fish cleared the water and my heart was beating so fast thinking....my first steelhead of the season. The fight went on for about 10 minutes and when I brought it in, it was a wild coho of about 10lbs. Unfortunately, it was not what I was looking for but I had fun. I tried to take a picture but the rain was coming down like crazy and I did not want my phone to be drenched in water.

The wind started coming after that so we decided to go home.

What was a nice day of fishing turned FREAKING UGLY as our car got broken into. We were parked at No.2 and Boundry Rd. Had to clean the glasses before we can drive and that took like 30 minutes. Phoned RCMP in Chilliwack and they made us wait because they thought that we have to call Abbotsford instead because of where we were parked. They decided that it was Chilliwack jurisdiction after all.

On the way back, I saw this guy under the KWB hooked into 5 cohos and took one- all really bright. Go figure!!!!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:32:22 PM by CohoMan »

Preliator

Re: Chilliwack River, November 11th 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »

I think I know which system you are speaking of, because my entourage and I left for the same reason. It was way too much and almost disgusting. Although your experience parked at the Vedder warrants that description more. It's a shame that there has been so much petty criminal activity there this year - it's been my first season on the system, but it's left a very poor taste in my mouth. Though I haven't experienced anything yet, being that I work in Chillliwack and have been putting in my hours, I know it's only a matter of time before I get hit. I keep it cleaned out and compartments locked at all times.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 06:48:05 PM »

Next time I will park at the dyke and walk and cross the bridge.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »

Did they get anything ???
wish there was a way to have our vehicles wired to give would be thieves a shock of their lives

Preliator

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »

A bait car and some vigilante justice. There's no other solution.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 07:10:49 PM »

Took GPS, some money and and a cooler with drinks......

Also, they took the keys to the house but they threw it away near by. Lucky we walked around to look.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 08:57:13 PM »

A bait car and some vigilante justice. There's no other solution.
These break ins have gone on for years and nothing that I know of has improved things. This year of course we had the tire slashing going on which was a shame for our visitors to Chilliwack.

I just park in high density areas thelast few years or where I am able to see the Leaf Mobile. Cuts down on places I can now fish, maybe that's why I caught so few coho this year.

I have thought of using a bike to travel to the fishing spots like the odd chap does. :(

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »

I have thought of using a bike to travel to the fishing spots like the odd chap does. :(

i used to ride my bike to spots when camping at thurston meadows but a stolen bike and ripped waders quickly changed that  :-[
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 09:20:58 PM »

i used to ride my bike to spots when camping at thurston meadows but a stolen bike and ripped waders quickly changed that  :-[
Have to chain your bike to a tree and hope the thieves do not have a chain saw or bolt cutters and carry your waders in the bike's basket or do bikes not have baskets these days, not cool? ;D

Nucks

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 09:34:11 PM »

Decided to go back to the Vedder hoping for maybe an early steelhead.

Avoided the North side because the crowd was just getting to me...30 cars for a small river system was just too much.

Why are you complaining when you post about fishing the North side on your other post and you're showing off a beauty ho. All you're doing is contributing to other people fishing these rivers. A little hypocritical don't cha think? Don't you thin by posting this pic, you're encouraging other fishers to search this river out? I just don't get some people?

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »

NEVER program your GPS with your house - they break into a car, use the gps to go to your house (knowing you're not home cause they just left your car) and use a garage door opener they took outta your car for example or keys if you left them in or break a window....  if you must use a GPS to get home, program it to a store or gas station or something close to home so it takes you to your neighborhood.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »

Good thinking...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »

NEVER program your GPS with your house - they break into a car, use the gps to go to your house (knowing you're not home cause they just left your car) and use a garage door opener they took outta your car for example or keys if you left them in or break a window....  if you must use a GPS to get home, program it to a store or gas station or something close to home so it takes you to your neighborhood.

Very good advice.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »

Hundred Miller..maybe I should stop making fishing report.

Not aware that I was complaining...I thought I was just letting people know that breakins are still happening!!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »

Keep the reports coming. ;) We almost went yesterday, kicking ourselves now for not going. Sounds like the lower section is still going strong from this and other reports so maybe it'll produce well for a couple more weeks. :)