Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, Thanksgiving Day 2010  (Read 5363 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, Thanksgiving Day 2010
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »

Water was in top shape since daylight with lots of fish moving through but little success for me and Lew. I guess I joined the long lining crews that are everywhere as the only fish I had a chance at was a clipped coho jack that I snagged in the side.  ??? ::) :-[ What a beak.

A fellow from the forum who was fishing in a proper manner got a nice coho just below us. I filled half a bag of line and garbage and found a dozen floats, one a DNE and the other a cleardrift, also a few tins. Maybe that's is the problem I spent more time walking around than angling. ;D

I also in a bit of a discussion with a fellow long lining as he snagged 2 or 3 fish in a very short time. I know when they do not take our good bait they certainly will not be taking wool. I left after that chat feeling disgusted with myself for bothering to say anything to this chap, he may not even know he is snagging his fish. Lew and I went to a better environment coffee at MacDonald's.

A nap now and I will fish the tide where I know I will get some bites. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:13:05 PM by chris gadsden »

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: Chilliwack River, Thanksgiving Day 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:05:22 PM »

I left after that chat feeling disgusted with myself for bothering to say anything to this chap, he may not even know he is snagging his fish.

Don't be too hard on yourself Chris, nobody's perfect. Besides, being a Leafs fan, your prone to making mistakes  ;D ;D Thank you for the report, good luck later on.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »

I know when they do not take our good bait they certainly will not be taking wool.

iv seen many coho taken legit on wool and jensen egg when they were off the bite on roe!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:18:54 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »

Im seriously sick of this fishing. I cant even move on to the next run, because theres just another crowd there waiting. I got lucky today fishing amongst some guys that fished with respect. Just down at the next run, I can clearly see 3 people off this forum flossing, come on guys you know better. Sad to say but im ready for steelhead season already, maybe I should just suck it up because it was a long weekend after all.
The Bigger The Better!

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:40:14 PM »

Im seriously sick of this fishing. I cant even move on to the next run, because theres just another crowd there waiting.

Maybe try a different flow. With some strong legs and persistence, you CAN find places in the Lower Mainland where you CAN salmon fish without having the crowds and unethical methods taking place. If not, I guess you will have to just suck it up, as painful as it is.  :)

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »

After yesterdays near breakthrough on my personal success with the ever elusive coho, I was eager to return to action this AM.

I couldn't have been more wrong. Water was great -  actually would have preferred it to be up just a touch more at first light as an extra foot of water is what is needed to bring the fish in tight to the bank as I found them yesterday - so this is what I'm placing the blame on as I didn't see very many fish moving around this AM, couple springs and a chum that's it, yesterday it was full of Coho, oh well. So way less fish but literally twice the people, I guess it's less busy on sunday as people go to church ? or maybe that was the actual turkey dinner. Told myself if not even a sniff by 9 am, leave and go get chum dumb at the stave. Dumb is right -- in terms of the amount of people there, apparently fish hooked in the gill plate are fair game, whatever. I was able to find a little serenity casting a Colorado near another angler doing the same as me - didn't get into too many fish, 3 to be exact, but one was a very nice and bright doe, around 10 lbs, and now i have what seems like 2lbs of roe getting the cure.... which is good, cause I was completely out, oh well maybe next weekend.

Maybe us fair fishers should just gang rape out some spots so the snaggots can try their trade where the river bottom isn't so accommodating to bouncing weights.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 04:50:01 PM »

After yesterdays near breakthrough on my personal success with the ever elusive coho, I was eager to return to action this AM.

apparently fish hooked in the gill plate are fair game, whatever.

Maybe us fair fishers should just gang rape out some spots so the snaggots can try their trade where the river bottom isn't so accommodating to bouncing weights.

apparently its legal to hook the chum in the back too ! and did they raise limit on chum in the ved to 2 ? I thought it was 1 ! had a little bit of an argument bout that. and those clipped Chinook I got scolded about when I told the dude it was a sockeye and the idiot told me sockeye season was over !!! at least he had  a nice black 1 already carded or he would a bonk that 1 !!!

But I took a nice twenty minute walk and found a quiet place and hooked numerous springs which I couldn't land and a few chum and a jack which I shoulda a bonked !

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:25:28 PM »

Slipped out to to the canal for an hour before dark on the out going tide where with the highwater some serenity has returned to this part of the river. Not sure if the KWB bar can be reached because of the rise.

Once again the smolts were hungry but I did have 3 take down which I thought were not smolts, One was a nice sized coho jack that fell off shortly after being hooked. I was using a roe bag as the little smolt bandits kept stripping my bait off.

Saw two anglers into some jacks too and one angler lost a nice coho on a blade just as I was leaving, Not as many fish showing like they were before the jump yesterday as they are moving through quickly I think.

I may have to try a blade tomorrow to break the adult coho jinx of this season, that is if the flow stays in as it is raining out now.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »

Slipped out to to the canal for an hour before dark on the out going tide where with the highwater some serenity has returned to this part of the river. Not sure if the KWB bar can be reached because of the rise.

Once again the smolts were hungry but I did have 3 take down which I thought were not smolts, One was a nice sized coho jack that fell off shortly after being hooked. I was using a roe bag as the little smolt bandits kept stripping my bait off.

Saw two anglers into some jacks too and one angler lost a nice coho on a blade just as I was leaving, Not as many fish showing like they were before the jump yesterday as they are moving through quickly I think.

I may have to try a blade tomorrow to break the adult coho jinx of this season, that is if the flow stays in as it is raining out now.

Milo and I were out on the lower this afternoon and covered lots of water. In about 4 hours we might have seen a total of half a dozen fish jump. Neither one of us hooked anything in the afternoon. We started in the upper in the morning and got some fish ( no coho though ) Our buddy Tad who ventured out without us in the morning limited out on coho though as he stayed in the upper in the afternoon. Milo and I were looking for some new locations void of people. We found those peaceful spots but too bad their were no fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

mattyo

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 08:59:10 PM »

Was out from 3 till  about 630 in the lower, got to the chosen spot without another angler in sight ;D(except Chris in the leafcraft). Threw roe at the fish and managed a nice coho jack and a clean chum. Not as many fish around as the past few days. Had my roe stripped by little smolts.  Finally i had enough roe robbery that i switched to a blade. Third cast coho on. Tried to land it when my buddy touched the leader, SNAP. Oh well he lived to fight another day. Water was in great shape.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »

Daily quota of chum salmon in the Chilliwack River is indeed 1 currently. It is very likely that it will be reduced to zero on October 15th, a fishery notice will be available if this comes in effect.

fishiotherapist

• Haneyphysiotherapyclinic
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 09:10:42 PM »

Managed to trick an adult coho and a jack spring with colorado blade today.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 10:11:28 PM »

Was out from 3 till  about 630 in the lower, got to the chosen spot without another angler in sight ;D(except Chris in the leafcraft). Threw roe at the fish and managed a nice coho jack and a clean chum. Not as many fish around as the past few days. Had my roe stripped by little smolts.  Finally i had enough roe robbery that i switched to a blade. Third cast coho on. Tried to land it when my buddy touched the leader, SNAP. Oh well he lived to fight another day. Water was in great shape.
I should have slipped over with my net, ;D  too bad you lost it, looked like a very nice coho, had my mouth water when I saw it. ;D ;D

The Leaf Craft#3 is anxious for a trip tomorrow if the river stays in.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 10:33:06 PM »

I had another successful day out on the flow, got my limit of coho and released 6 more. Landed 4 of 5 chum hooked and broke off a stubborn brute of a chinook. Out of the 10 coho 8 were on roe and the other 2 on hardware, chum, 3 on shrimp and 2 on a jig.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 06:39:58 AM »

and you can't leave a coho or two for the people who are struggling to hook up with one!?