Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Chinook Set Up  (Read 4804 times)

Archer

Vedder Chinook Set Up
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »

I am going to put in next weekend at the Vedder.  I am going to bring along my 10'6 Salmon drift rod with the Abu Garcia C3 with 50lb power pro, heavy line but it will do.
I used this set up drifting for Steelhead last winter there for the first time fishing the Vedder and I need some advice for Chinook.  I was going to float roe bags and maybe a tbar set up with spin n glo's or corkies n yarn. 

When you use spinners like the Blue Fox, do you spin them off a float w/ leader or just off a leader and no float?
I am going to shop at Fred's first, just would like some tips ahead to know what to buy.

Anyone know a good area to start on the river, please IM me as I know putting them up on a board can cause crazy traffic. 
Hopefully by next weekend the levels will be a little lower.

THANKS!!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:17:22 AM by Archer »

Archer

Re: Vedder Chinook Set Up
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 01:40:35 PM »

Found some good articles about Chinook fishing on the Vedder. Looks like floating a spinner is the way due to shallow depths. I'll just ask when I am at Freds as to different options of tackle.

Browne Rd Fence posting here I come. LOL  :o

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 02:41:05 PM »

When i fish reds i usualy just use huge globs of roe at first light.Usualy peach rd.

Archer

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »

When i fish reds i usualy just use huge globs of roe at first light.Usualy peach rd.

Thanks for the double tip! That's how I plan to start on Saturday. If no hits, then I will work my way to some spots I found when steelheading and work a spinner and set up a bar rig if I find a place and feel like chilling out for a while.  8)

Rachid

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »

usually i use a colorado blades , silver when it s sunny and gold when it s cloudy when floating for red on vedder river , or the silver color little shavers with a 2' leader max ,

Archer

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 06:27:59 PM »

Good to know about the leader at 2'. I would have gone 3, so I'll bring her down to 2.

What about a fairly heavy gold Gibbs Koho lure? I wonder if i could use that? I bought it for coho fishing but it was a bit big... :o

riptide

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »

If you're not having any luck and feel like switching up or you snap everything off on a snag  etc., try casting the koho on its own , no float , a well placed spoon or spinner can have amazing results . Find a deeper slot , hold back a bit and let the current do the work
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that