Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kawkawa Lake  (Read 1913 times)

EZ_Rolling

Kawkawa Lake
« on: June 26, 2017, 03:05:29 PM »

Hi Guys

I am headed to Sunshine Valley for the long weekend with the family, I have never fished this area but do see 2 lakes within close distance, Cedar Lake and Kawkawa Lake, is there shore fishing at either of these lakes?

Not taking my boat for this trip so need somewhere the kids can fish from shore.

Thanks,

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Kawkawa Lake
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 07:01:03 PM »

My recommendation would be to take the 30 minute drive into Manning Park and fish Lightning Lake. Fish with small spinners (size 0 or 1); lots of willing trout and great fun for the kids. I did just that when we had a fam reunion at Sunshine Valley, over the same weekend, about 15 years ago.

Kawkawa has limited public shore access and the fishing productivity is marginal from shore.
Cedar Lake is closed to July 1 and has a bait ban. I fished it once with no success. I can't speak to its current productivity. I do recall there being a goodly amount of scrub growth around it limiting casting.

Lightning Lake is my recommendation.

cdjk123

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:21:38 AM »

2nd for lightning lake. You can rent water craft there too I believe.

Excellent family fishery with lots of willing (tiny) fish. Lots of fun to be had there.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:21:14 PM »

Kawkawa Lake is not only marginal from shore. It is from boat too. LOL. I went with 3 friends 2 weeks ago. Two bites in almost 5-6 hours for 4 rods using fish finder to help locating fish (very few showing up on it). Fishing is slow for this time compared to prior years.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:42:04 AM »

Thanks for the replies!