Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer fishing with roe bags or chunks when water is like it is now, low?

Roe bags
- 58 (29.6%)
Chunks
- 138 (70.4%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Author Topic: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....  (Read 103430 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: The official roe thread: Roe chunk, sac, mesh selection, borax, cure....
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2010, 10:32:07 PM »

Problem....sounds like the fish / roe was too mature / ripe. Remedy.......use it to make roe bags / stay away from chums.. :P   ;)
yeah thats what Im thinking...I purchased the roe commercially...was in a rush and didnt inspect my eggs.
looks like ill be saving that batch for steel season

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2010, 05:59:22 PM »

I gathered up 20 skeins from pegleg last night, was going to use them for sturgeon, but can these small skeins be cured for the fall salmon fishery?

How do you cure immature roe? Im looking for just a borax cure, no procure method.
The Bigger The Better!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »

I gathered up 20 skeins from pegleg last night, was going to use them for sturgeon, but can these small skeins be cured for the fall salmon fishery?

How do you cure immature roe? Im looking for just a borax cure, no procure method.

I've got a few pounds of nice spring roe but have not had to use it yet, been using the sock roe for the last two and a half weeks and into multiple fish every time out. I just cure it up with Pautzkies like normal.

Jace

« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2010, 07:48:32 PM »

Ive got some roe that has been pro cured but its still not dried up enough its still super juicy and doesnt stay in the bait loop.
Im going out tomorrow morning so ive left it in the garage on some wax paper to dry out and harden.
Just making sure that wasnt a bad idea, it has already sat in the fridge for  a while

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »

OK - here's a question.  I've got some coho roe from fish I got from Pt. Hardy.  The roe is a bit small, but it's quite durable due to the ample amount of membrane.  Now I got an opinion from who I'd consider an experienced roe fisherman, who isn't as confident with "ocean roe".  Is roe from ocean caught fish (coho) as effective as river fish?  I imagine it should be fine for the roe pigs - like jacks.  I haven't really tried it enough to form an opinion.  Sometimes I think I should stay with flies.   ;)

shakespug

« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2010, 11:41:03 AM »

I have only used sea salt for chum roes and then tied them in little spawn bags. They do work, however, fish keep getting away  ???

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2010, 11:59:38 PM »

I left some of mediocre roe in a tupperware with borax and forgot about it in the truck a couple days.  It toughened into great roe that lasted maybe a dozen+ casts.  Results were duplicated by a buddy.  Dry your roe, it will be much tougher.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2010, 03:09:44 AM »

If you want roe thats clean to handle and tough, shake borax on the skeins as they're drying, making sure to get it in the folds in the skein.  After that borax sucks up some moisture (it will turn the colour of the cure you're using), shake it off and add new borax.  As this dries, the skein toughens up quite a bit (but stays flexible) and the eggs feel firmer with a tough shell.  Its really clean to handle as its dry to the touch.

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2011, 02:05:04 PM »

If you have thawed previously frozen procured/borexed roe can you re-freeze it?

Nitroholic

« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »

If you have thawed previously frozen procured/borexed roe can you re-freeze it?

I do, multiple times even

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #160 on: September 06, 2011, 10:17:37 PM »

Just wondering what are the opinions about how long cured roe can be stored in the fridge.

I'm Pro-Cure'ing some roe right now in preparation for coho season, which is still a month away. It sounds like a long time to store refrigerated roe but I havent had great success in the past freezing roe (it seems to dry out).

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2011, 11:33:35 PM »

Just wondering what are the opinions about how long cured roe can be stored in the fridge.

I'm Pro-Cure'ing some roe right now in preparation for coho season, which is still a month away. It sounds like a long time to store refrigerated roe but I havent had great success in the past freezing roe (it seems to dry out).

If its drying out there are two things that can help solve this problem:

Use less borax. When freezing roe less is more, borax will act like a sponge and suck the moisture out of your eggs. I will slowly add borax to my eggs until the borax has a `flour`like feel to it.

Use canning jars. When you go to seal them drop in a lit match and screw tight. The match will burn off all the oxygen, which is what causes them to freezer burn.

I don`t ever take short cuts with my roe, cause the day will come when you need good roe and on that day it will be worth its weight in gold.
Actions speak louder than words.

brownmancheng

« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »

Use canning jars. When you go to seal them drop in a lit match and screw tight. The match will burn off all the oxygen, which is what causes them to freezer burn.

That is smart. Will be sure to try that next time

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »

The secret with curing eggs is that it doesn't matter what cure you use as long as you take care of the eggs before curing them and make sure to dry them well.
Cured well, it can sit in the freezer for 2/3 years.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:24:14 AM by adriaticum »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2011, 03:41:07 PM »

I have been using pro cure forever, but ltely after using a shitload of roe that it is too rubbery, its almost like a red sourkey like textture when i cut a piece off

I need a recipe for one that will be more viscous and like fresh uncured roe, as I find the presentation is way better when the roe is flowing around like jellyfish. any suggestions guys?