Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oven "Smoked" Salmon  (Read 8812 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
Oven "Smoked" Salmon
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:54:31 AM »

Any methods out there to "smoke" salmon in the oven?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Oven "Smoked" Salmon
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:31:26 AM »

You could put a pan of wood chips in the oven with the salmon. The only problem is you'd have to disconnect all the smoke detectors in the house, and warn your neighbors not to call the fire department. And you should be aware that the insurance company may disallow your smoke damage claim.   ;D

Sorry for the response if your question was a serious one.

The amount of smoke needed to properly cure salmon makes it impractical and it should not be attempted in an indoor oven.....

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:38:40 AM »

The smoke would also 'coat' the inside of your oven - including the elements.  Like AF suggested, not worth the trouble. 

From time to time - somebody is selling a smoker on this forum or even craigslist.

Check out this one - tis listed on both:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=27332.0
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »

well, buying a smoker is not really an option.  No space in my apartment,
I was obviously not wanting to have all the smoke fill up my apartment.

I was hoping to achieve the flavour of smoked salmon....anyhow, I found this: http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recipes/fish/salmonovensmoke01.html
Not sure what the results would be...

maybe worth a try

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:40:38 AM »

Let us know how that works.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »

My dad runs two little chiefs on the deck of his condo.  They don't throw off any more smoke that any bbq'er that burns the crap out of his steaks next door.  lol

crab

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:07:13 PM »

I always use this lazy method that basically "cooks" the salmon while rapidly smoking it. what I do is I take an old wok-pan and
place smoke chips wrapped in foil at the bottom, then a round bbq grid that fit onto the side of the pan, followed by a lid.
Then I just place the pan on a portable gas range outside (to avoid smoky mess), wait till the chips smoking, and turn the fire low.
Salmon goes on the grid, cover the pan with lid, and just cook/smoke it for like 30min. makes pretty tasty stuff imo

doja

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 12:05:22 AM »

I've used the recipe and put it in a food dehydrator. Worked for jerky so might work for fish. The oven would work well too, just keep an eye on it and layer the bottom with foil for easy cleaning!

Are you single??? If not you might be soon, LOL

Dogbreath

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »

No oven I've ever used goes down to the required temp of around 140*F, the lowest my oven does is 200*F, if I remember correct.  Assuming you were able to leave the door open just wide enough to maintain ~140*, maybe try some liquid smoke?  I would think that would work ok.  The biggest hurtle is maintaining a low enough temperature, this is important as the fat in the salmon will liquify and dry out the salmon too much at oven temps I've found.