Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How far can centerpin cast reach  (Read 8265 times)

Animal Chin

Re: How far can centerpin cast reach
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 10:15:46 AM »

I also quit the pin after a few seasons.
The Calcutta was just so much easier and i figure i get 1/3 more casts in at the end of the day.

Yeah, I kinda came to the same conclusion this salmon season. Like the pin, but think I'll just stick with it for less crowded applications.. it's also really annoying fishing beside a pin user when in lineup conditions, they retrieve at half the speed. Great for bar fishing though if you don't need a lot of weight.

lapa

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »

I also quit the pin after a few seasons.
The Calcutta was just so much easier and i figure i get 1/3 more casts in at the end of the day.
    I think, you didn't get to proper combo. I had the same feeling with Sage 3113mb and Talisman. Casting was short and I was done after two hours. Later, I switched to 3113lb and Kingfisher.I improved my distance and was able to fish a few more hours.
Now I fish 4106llb with Manx.  I can cast across the river and fish all day without any issues. Yes, retrieving is slower compare to bait casting . You make less cast but it is fishing not casting tournament.  Just my 2 cents.

armytruck

• Old Timer
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 04:05:06 PM »

I prefer my pin for the Chilliwack river during Steelhead season. I use my bait caster for island systems and the Chehalis. I find the casting accuracy the best with a levelwind. Also, when your in a tight spot with little to no room to cast a pin, a bait casting setup is supreme. When it comes to distance, I feel no need to cast to the other bank. That's a recipe for a lost fish.

jim

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »

I used a Silex for years back in the 1982 to 1995 era. the trick is to load the rod up real good on the backcast. let your finger off of the spool rim before the forecast.  You might have to use shears to cut the brush behind you.
 my reel is mounted low on the rod, and it might help with distance as the entire length of rod is used, all 10' 6". This makes it a 2 handed rod, not suitable for chain smokers in salmon season.
 start with 35 gram leads, then 30 gram, then trim down to 25 grams.
 thinnest oil you can get if bushing reel.

obie1fish

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »

While one can get more casts from a high gear ratio baitcaster, my real reward is when the float goes down and I get to enjoy the feel of a single action reel in a fight. It's the same in the ocean between the two types of salmon reels- the feel is  so much better when fighting a salmon (or halibut!) on a single action reel. Levelwinds can retrieve faster, but to me the feel just is not as satisfying.

standalone

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 12:58:29 PM »

pin is enough for vedder river. but it will never match the casting distance as baitcasting/spinning.