Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to fly fishing show me the light!  (Read 2578 times)

Ryan.maccie

New to fly fishing show me the light!
« on: August 27, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »

Well heres the story, my grandfather loved tying flies, so much I dont think he ever used many of them :p.

A year ago He passed away.  Leaving behind all of his fly gear, most of it went to my uncle and he has agreed to give me a rod, I am headed up island this weekend to visit my grandmother, and figured in memory of my grandpa, I would spend a day on the river, swearing, fighting, and crying teaching myself to fish on a fly.

Now I usually only fish salmon/steelhead obviously using hardware..

My grandfather never fished salmon, only trout, I am wondering if one of his reels will work for my application? Or is a reel for trout much different than a reel used for salmon/steelhead?

I understand I will need new line, and a rod matched to that.

Any advice or anything would be great!

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: New to fly fishing show me the light!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 08:36:56 PM »

Many reels used for salmon are built to hold more backing than typical trout reels but they are basically the same, with exception of those designed for use in salt water.  It is possible that his trout reel could be used for salmon/steelhead but you need more info on the line type it can hold with enough (100+ yards) of backing. A 6 wt rod would be fine for pinks and coho, a 5wt could be light if you hook a larger coho or steelhead, and a 4 wt would be too light as you would likely tire the fish too much trying to bring it in.  For a single day of fishing to honor your late grandfather, I wouldn't worry too much, but if you want to take it up regular, you want to go 6 wt.  if the reel can hold the line and balance a suitable rod, you should be fine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:47:20 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Ryan.maccie

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:20:53 PM »

Its defently something I have been talking about taking up long term for a whike and I think what better time/way to start.

I just got the reel off my uncle, I am guessing its an ancient artifact. .  It is a diawa sf706 and says line weights 4-5&6.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:27:21 AM »

Its defently something I have been talking about taking up long term for a whike and I think what better time/way to start.

I just got the reel off my uncle, I am guessing its an ancient artifact. .  It is a diawa sf706 and says line weights 4-5&6.

So you could spool a 6wt line on it, the question is, how much backing will it hold.  Spool it with at least 100y (200y is ideal if you are fishing big salmon and steelhead) and then add the line, if it gets too full then take off 25y of backing but avoid hooking big coho or steelhead.  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:29:04 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

ByteMe

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:22:13 AM »

Ryan-maccie............I collect old vintage rods and reels as a hobby,what you have in the Daiwa 706 is a quality reel,it has a double pawl design with an adjustable drag.I would suggest using a 6WF line as it would hold more backing than a 6DT line.Get some 20lb decron for backing,should hold 75yds and go have some fun.The SF706 is still quite a sought after reel for us fiberglass and cane rod users
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

Ryan.maccie

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »

Thank you for the info byteme!

I had a feeling this reel has done its due time and become a "collector".
Can anyone reccomend a rod to pair this reel with, using a 6wt line?
Dont really mind spending good money on a rod, as this setup is something I would really like to keep for my lifetime and possibly try and pass down later on.