Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Opportunities in Taiwan  (Read 2425 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Fishing Opportunities in Taiwan
« on: July 15, 2016, 11:28:51 AM »

So, my family just booked a trip to Taiwan for March of next year.  If you've never been, airfare is really cheap now and Taipei is a world class city.  When we were there last, I found time to seek out a couple of tackle shops to bring back some unique gear, but this time around, I'm hoping to actually wet a line, even if it is just for Tilapia or some other similar species, and c&r is fine since I know some of the most available waters are too polluted to eat your catch.  Anyone have any ideas/advice for fishing in/around Taipei?  We are probably also visiting Tainan, but I don't know if I'll have time for fishing there.

I found a couple old threads on here, so I know a few members have fished there in the past, I'm just looking for something a bit more recent and specific.  Also, does anyone know if there are any opportunities to fish for the Formosan Trout (landlocked cherry salmon)?  I know they are considered endangered, but I don't know if they are farmed or raised in hatcheries to provide any angling opportunities.

As far as I can tell with English language google, there don't seem to be any ocean charter opportunities, but if you know otherwise please let me know.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Opportunities in Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:49:58 AM »

Bumping my own topic - our trip is a few weeks away, any feedback is appreciated.

ninez

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »

I believe there is no fishing for the landlocked salmon.

However, lots of fishing opportunites either freshwater (lake or river) or saltwater fishing from what I read on Taiwanese forum.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 12:26:24 PM »

I believe there is no fishing for the landlocked salmon.

However, lots of fishing opportunites either freshwater (lake or river) or saltwater fishing from what I read on Taiwanese forum.

Thanks for the reply.  Can you post the URL?  I'll try to use google translate on it.  My searching in English brings up very little results.

ninez

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 02:20:13 PM »

pm you.

From what I read, local rivers have lots of farmed fish which escaped during the flood from typhoon.
Also lots of plecos, discarded aquarium tropical fish in the river system as well.