Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Polarized sunglasses ???  (Read 7424 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Best Polarized sunglasses ???
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 06:16:18 AM »

Sunglasses are most important in the protection of returning hooks and lead, only get one pair of eyes

The people dipping at tamihi consider sunglasses a necessity rather than an option.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 08:43:15 AM »

You can buy cheaper sunglasses and they will cut the glare just fine. But you will sacrifice longevity and take on additional eye strain over time.

Or you can buy high end sunglasses and the glare cutting will be noticeably better, they will last longer, and your eye strain will be significantly less. Of course, your wallet will be markedly lighter, but you knew that going in. ;)

Both will work. I've done both. Personally I will never go back to wearing cheap sunglasses.

That said, if $200+ Maui Jims are too expensive for you (and they would've been for me too had I not received a gift card years ago), places like MEC etc have other brands in the $50-100 range that will also be noticeably better than the cheapos.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »

Had maybe 20 pairs over the last fifty years.Including some with bi-focals from Onos as I need readers now.Would not recommend them as it is too easy to forget you are wearing them.This cost me a slip on the Chilliwack one day resulting in a broken bone in my hand.Now only used in my fly fishing boat or pontoon or belly boat.I like a lighter shade such as amber as I find frequently when fall sight fishing it is often overcast and lower light. Quite like my Native brand ones as they have breather vents that help cut down the fogging.
Riverman

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 03:46:44 PM »

You can buy cheaper sunglasses and they will cut the glare just fine. But you will sacrifice longevity and take on additional eye strain over time.

Or you can buy high end sunglasses and the glare cutting will be noticeably better, they will last longer, and your eye strain will be significantly less. Of course, your wallet will be markedly lighter, but you knew that going in. ;)

Both will work. I've done both. Personally I will never go back to wearing cheap sunglasses.

That said, if $200+ Maui Jims are too expensive for you (and they would've been for me too had I not received a gift card years ago), places like MEC etc have other brands in the $50-100 range that will also be noticeably better than the cheapos.

x2

I have 6 or so different pairs of shades. 3 pairs of Maui Jims. The optics are second to none. If you are not prone to breaking your shades and can afford them they are a real treat. 2 of the MJs I own have glass lenses. They have the best optics, but are a tad heavy, and not terribly shatter resistant if that is a concern for you. My other pair of MJs are polycarbonate (plastic). Way lighter and more comfortable, but optics not as good and they scratch easier. The grey MJ lenses are awesome for a bright sunny day with lots of glare on the water. Unbeatable summer glasses. The bronze lenses are the best all around, but I find not quite dark enough for bright days on the water. The HT (green) lenses are amazing for overcast/cloudy days with glare on the water. I also wear these lenses a lot for driving when it's not that sunny but the road has a lot of glare.

If I could have just one pair of MJs it would be bronze tint with glass lenses.

If you are in the market for MJs I would go to an optometrist with a ton of frames to try on. IRIS in Chilliwack is good. I'm sure many others are too. Personally I would not try on at a place that just has a 1/2 dozen or so MJ frames. There are so many diff shapes and styles if you are gonna drop this kind of coin you might as well get the ones that fit best! IRIS in Chilliwack has probably 50 different MJ frames in stock.

If a $300+ pair of MJs or other high end sunglasses are not a pragmatic option then I will agree with others that the "cheapo" polarized glasses for under $50 are actually pretty good. I have a pair of Suncloud (low end Smith) from Fred's that are pretty darn decent for $40ish I paid for them. I keep them as a back up pair in my truck in case I forget the "good ones." Also have Oakleys, Smith, and others. For the money they are certainly better value than a pair of Maui Jims. I typically do NOT wear my MJs golfing, doing yard work, and so on as I'm prone to putting them on my hat, forgetting about them, then launching them across the room when the hat comes off!! They are a treat to wear on the water/fishing, and that's all I really wear them for. As soon as I get home they go back in the soft case, and then that in the hard case (!)

John Revolver

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »

Suncloud Mayor Burnished Brown Sunglasses  from Atmosphere $ 59.99

Not too cheap, Not too expensive. right in the sweet spot and I love them.  Atmosphere has a great selection of good priced Polarized glasses.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »

I have the same pair! Totally decent for the $.
However on a bright sunny day if you wear those then slip on a pair of MJ the difference is quite noticeable in a good way. Seems like with the MJs on your eyes just totally relax. And the polarization/clairity is more "high def" than any other brand I've tried. It's like sipping Jack Daniels then trying a 12yr or older single malt!

However MJs in the $300 range are not 6 times better than a $50 pair of Sunclouds or whatever budget brand. Likewise a Simms gortex jacket is not 6 times better than a Frogtogg or whatever affordable brand. This being said if you can afford the nicer brands they do make a day on the water a bit more comfortable. 

Blackrt03

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 09:17:55 PM »

Another vote for MJ amber rose lens

Fishawn

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 11:09:01 PM »

I have a  pair of Maui Jims for sale in the buy and sell if anyone is interested.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 09:50:15 AM »

Well said Spawn Sack. And the Sunclouds are the $50-range sunglasses I was referring to, actually! Too funny. :)

I have a  pair of Maui Jims for sale in the buy and sell if anyone is interested.

^^^This is the style that I have two of at home for fishing. Nice coverage and wrap around a bit on the sides to avoid light sneaking in on the peripheral. A little heavy but worth it for the quality IMO.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »

Are there good clip-on sunglasses with amber tint for reasonable price? (under $100)