Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser salmon opportunities to be announced  (Read 20347 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Lower Fraser salmon opportunities to be announced
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »

DFO is playing a cruel joke with the sport fishers. No pink but 4 chum. Lol. How do you catch chum in Tidal Fraser? They don't bite spoon or spinner much nor roe. Most chum seen caught were accidentally snagged during bar fishing. So good luck with the 4 limit.  ;D

I caught a few with a croc in the north arm in an hour last fall. Used to be people who fished the running tide on the South Arm with small blue and pink tomic plugs tethered to a bar rig. They also will take roe.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tangles

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 05:52:32 PM »

Link?

I see "other: 5", but how do we know those are not sturgeon? If they are in fact Atlantics that is craziness.

http://www.psc.org/TestFish/Daily.PDF

look on page 2 under comments.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 06:32:54 PM »

Great question!  :) I hope I can answer it for you satisfactorily.

"Shall" derives from Old English 'scalt' which meant "should" or "must", and it expressed a moral obligation deriving from God's and other people's expectations. (think the Ten Commandments in the Bible). As such, it is still retained in very formal English, especially in contracts.

However, modern times require a more modern approach to language, so "shall" is being taken by the vast majority of the population as a synonym of "will". "Will", as a modal of future, conveys a prediction or assumption on the part of the writer/speaker that something is to take place at some later time, but it does NOT convey prohibition. Therefore, it is not really the best modal verb to use on a modern fisheries' notice.

The modal verb 'may' has more than one use. In its most simple application, it conveys probability, but in formal language, its primary use is for giving or denying PERMISSION to do something.

For example, If you wanted to ask a CO if you are legally allowed to fish a section of a river, you would ask, "May I fish here?", and not "Shall I fish here?", correct?  ;)

So when the notice states 'anglers may not retain pink and sockeye salmon', it clearly means anglers are prohibited BY AUTHORITY AND/OR LAW to harvest pink and sockeye salmon, whereas using 'shall not' would merely state the writer's prediction, assumption or expectation.

Now if someone is really inclined to go much deeper into the reasons why the modal SHALL really sucks when it comes to legalities, find the time to read this fantastic article on the issue:

http://www.koncision.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/nylj-shall-101807.pdf

Cheers, Milo

You lost me at satisfactorily. At first I thought you were talking oral but realized the spelling was off.

KarateKick

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 01:41:34 PM »

So far I have heard these suggestions:
1. Tossing spoons and spinners;
2. Drifting feather jigs under a float;
3. Putting lures on a bar rig.

Which of the above would you recommend in the north arm?  Are there other effective methods?

What are the best lures to dangle on a bar rig besides tomic plugs?

Tangles

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 10:51:28 AM »

For pinks I would either twitch marabou jigs or toss some pink 1/4oz spoons. Spinners work better for coho and a bar setup for pinks is kind of a tough go in the Tidal. Maybe small pink spin-n-glo would work but only if the tide is strong enough to give it some spin.
So yeah, the most effective simple and cheapest way is a single 1/4oz pink spoon tied up directly to 10-12lb mainline on a light spinning rod, it's what majority of people use for pinks and it works just right. And remember you don't need to cast all the wayvto the other bank, usually fish will be right up close 20-40ft away.
Good luck

banx

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »

just buy some crocs. great spoons. if you can't find pink ones just use nail polish. 

trophy tackle sells great spoons too.  absolutely love the r&b spoons.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »

just buy some crocs. great spoons. if you can't find pink ones just use nail polish. 
There should be tons of pink spoons for sale at the stores this season  ;D

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »

Which of the above would you recommend in the north arm?

When you say the North Arm are you referring to the section that goes by South Vancouver/North Richmond? If so, temper your expectations as general consensus is that not many pinks go through the North arm. I'm sure there are some but the majority go through the south arm.

Regardless, casting spoons and spinners are your best bet IMHO.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 12:22:46 PM »

trophy tackle sells great spoons too.  absolutely love the r&b spoons.

I fished hard in the canal this week. I only had a few on spoons. More with Pink spinners tipped with hoochies, even more on jigs and I had the most on the fly rod.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:24:22 PM by Hike_and_fish »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »

There should be tons of pink spoons for sale at the stores this season  ;D

The way the season goes and with DFO setting daily limit of 4 for Chum on the tidal Fraser, some tackle manufacturer should come up with a deadly chum spoon or spinner that work for tidal Fraser to boost sales.   ;D ;D

Tackle stores must be hurting with all the pink lures laying around unsold.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2017, 06:33:03 PM »

It's called "free enterprise".
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »

I see regs saying not to target sockeye. What exactly constitutes targeting sockeye?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2017, 07:39:33 PM »

I see regs saying not to target sockeye. What exactly constitutes targeting sockeye?
Bottom Bouncing is the main method to indiscriminately hook all fish, with sockeye being the main "target" on the Fraser.  I hope they don't see anybody bottom bounce a sockeye this year and then it gets brought up next time they decide whether to open the river or not.  I wonder what DFO will do next year during the dominant sockeye cycle, and remembering how bottom bouncers have targeted them in the past sockeye openings.

Tangles

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2017, 07:42:31 PM »

It's very clear what DFO should do next year providing the run comes as anticipated......but hey, let's not derail another thread.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2017, 12:00:28 AM »

So far I have heard these suggestions:
1. Tossing spoons and spinners;
2. Drifting feather jigs under a float;
3. Putting lures on a bar rig.

Which of the above would you recommend in the north arm?  Are there other effective methods?

What are the best lures to dangle on a bar rig besides tomic plugs?
A big gooeybob with some wool
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."