Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser salmon opportunities to be announced  (Read 20348 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Lower Fraser salmon opportunities to be announced
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 01:46:10 PM »

Most years I can remember they have been set at 4 in tidal water, including the Fraser below Mission. Isn't much of the chum return derived from artificial enhancement - both hatchery and spawning channel?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 02:03:49 PM »

DFO is playing a cruel joke with the sport fishers. No pink but 4 chum. Lol. How do you catch chum in Tidal Fraser? They don't bite spoon or spinner much nor roe. Most chum seen caught were accidentally snagged during bar fishing. So good luck with the 4 limit.  ;D

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 02:09:56 PM »

DFO is playing a cruel joke with the sport fishers. No pink but 4 chum. Lol. How do you catch chum in Tidal Fraser? They don't bite spoon or spinner much nor roe. Most chum seen caught were accidentally snagged during bar fishing. So good luck with the 4 limit.  ;D

bar fishing in the tidal can actually be very successful targeting chum. Seen many chum being caught on roe while spinning for coho.
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 02:27:33 PM »

bar fishing in the tidal can actually be very successful targeting chum. Seen many chum being caught on roe while spinning for coho.
There's a bait ban at the moment so no roe when bar fishing.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 02:31:25 PM »

There's a bait ban at the moment so no roe when bar fishing.

and don't forget that fishing for chum is only permitted from one hour before sunrise to one after sunset each day
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:35:59 PM by Derp »
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 02:32:19 PM »

You have to drift a jig under a float.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »

You have to drift a jig under a float.
A motorized spin and glow that spins in the Tidal Fraser. Darn, I should patent this  ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »

Better get out fishing for the rest of these weekdays. I suspect they will announce a Commercial fishery to begin on Friday. If that's the case the river will be empty by the weekend.

Why didn't they say something about bbouncing? Is it because they decided they're not going to waste resources in efforts to try control a non-issue or low impact issue? I'm a little surprised and maybe even a little disappointed with the no comment.

anorden

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »

I would be very surprised if even ball park numbers of chum abundance are known, yet retention limits have been set.  Amazing.

Optics. They want to divert attention away from their terrible management of the pink fishery this year. In a couple of weeks when the pink run is over they can always reduce the chum down to 2 or 1.

Tangles

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »

By the way Whonnock test net got 5 Atlantics yesterday, say what?!  :o

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »

That is great news

sockeyed

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »

Link?

I see "other: 5", but how do we know those are not sturgeon? If they are in fact Atlantics that is craziness.

TimL

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 03:16:23 PM »

ditto..I've even seen one caught on a spoon in the tidal  :o

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »

Would have been good if the DFO had a map on Atlantic catches like WDFW;

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/atlantic_catch_map.php

Some caught in our waters reported to WDFW.  I bet there were much more not reported or logged by the DFO.  And/or misidentifed and not reported.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 03:39:17 PM »

Why do the notice use "may not" instead of "shall not" or bait ban?

Great question!  :) I hope I can answer it for you satisfactorily.

"Shall" derives from Old English 'scalt' which meant "should" or "must", and it expressed a moral obligation deriving from God's and other people's expectations. (think the Ten Commandments in the Bible). As such, it is still retained in very formal English, especially in contracts.

However, modern times require a more modern approach to language, so "shall" is being taken by the vast majority of the population as a synonym of "will". "Will", as a modal of future, conveys a prediction or assumption on the part of the writer/speaker that something is to take place at some later time, but it does NOT convey prohibition. Therefore, it is not really the best modal verb to use on a modern fisheries' notice.

The modal verb 'may' has more than one use. In its most simple application, it conveys probability, but in formal language, its primary use is for giving or denying PERMISSION to do something.

For example, If you wanted to ask a CO if you are legally allowed to fish a section of a river, you would ask, "May I fish here?", and not "Shall I fish here?", correct?  ;)

So when the notice states 'anglers may not retain pink and sockeye salmon', it clearly means anglers are prohibited BY AUTHORITY AND/OR LAW to harvest pink and sockeye salmon, whereas using 'shall not' would merely state the writer's prediction, assumption or expectation.

Now if someone is really inclined to go much deeper into the reasons why the modal SHALL really sucks when it comes to legalities, find the time to read this fantastic article on the issue:

http://www.koncision.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/nylj-shall-101807.pdf

Cheers, Milo