Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleanup for Sunday, Day Two of the Blitz  (Read 1858 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Cleanup for Sunday, Day Two of the Blitz
« on: September 09, 2006, 08:31:34 PM »

For those that could not attend the big cleanup today at Peg we have another scheduled for tomorrow, Sunday Sept. 10.

Actually we have two different ones going on.

For the early birds 2:40 and some others are heading back to Peg to deal with what was not picked up today. Their plan is to meet at Tim Hortons at Vedder Road at 7:15 grab a coffee and head out to Peg.

I believe they are spending a couple of hours there so if you can help out slip out to the bar and lend a hand. 2:40 has the garbage bags so just bring some gloves.

At 1 pm I am launching at Island 22 and heading down to Grassy Bar, will be taking the bar rod along as well to fish and pick up garbage. I hope I am not too far away from the pole when the bell tolls. ;D

Randog said he might be able to come along with his boat as well. Also another angler from Fish BC with his boat said he may be free as well. Anyone interested we will get you down to the bar. Bring your bar fishing gear and a life jacket, no bb gear please. ;D ;D

Please post here your intentions if you plan on attending one of these cleanups so we know what the turnout may be. Thanks. I believe a bell or two may toll a time or two. ;D ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Cleanup for Sunday, Day Two of the Blitz
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 08:45:14 PM »

Sounds like an awsome plan Chris!!  ;) I will see you at 1:00 with my bar rod in hand!! ;D  I also have plenty bags packed.  But, what should I pack for gear. I also have the camera!!  Should be a fun day! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 08:47:24 PM »

Sounds like an awsome plan Chris!!  ;) I will see you at 1:00 with my bar rod in hand!! ;D  I also have plenty bags packed.  But, what should I pack for gear. I also have the camera!!  Should be a fun day! ;D
Glad you can come, make your load as light as possible as we should have a few springs to bring back. ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 08:24:33 PM »

So, Day 2 of the Clean up!!  Since Peg was hit yesterday pretty good, also this morning by 2:40 and someone else.  Sorry I can't remember your name! ???  Chris and I went down to give Grassy a cleaning.  On the way down river we ran into Norm, someone we were both acquainted with and asked him to come down river and fish with us, to which he said , "I'll be right there".  So know there was three of us, and upon arrival at Grassy, remembering what The Peg and many other bars had been like this year, we were expecting a big job.  But to our surprise, it wasn't that bad at all and it seems that the message may be getting through somewhat.  So we put out the Bar Rods and got to work.  There was a decent amount of line around, but you had to look for it.  Only found a couple of Bouncing balls, 10 hooks, 9 of which were barbless, and a couple of swivels.  Think we were only able to manage about 3 or so bags of garbage.  Also managed to catch no fish!! ;D  But that was OK for me, I already had one earlier!!
  I am sure that Chris will be able to add a fair amount to this as I am a bit tired right now, after a long day on the Flows!! 
 It was a beautiful day to get out.  Sun Was shining.
Here are a couple pics from the day!!  But, I unfortunately forgot to take pics of the amount of Garbage we were able to get.

I packed it in at around 5:30 or so, Chris and Norm were great company.  Chris I believe was going to head over to Wellington to see what needed to be done there.  I am sure he will tell us about it when he gets back  Well, if he isn't to worn out I suppose. :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 10:02:21 PM »

Just got in from the Fraser, it was just so nice out there I stayed as long as I could. Almost stayed too long as the Leaf Mobile got stuck pulling the Leaf Craft out at Island 22. I guess she did not want to leave, thanks to Jeff and Dave for helping getting the Leaf Mobile on firm ground. Maybe it was the extra weight of garbage we picked off Grassy but as Big Steel said it was not that bad at all out there. It looked like people had cleaned up after themselves or some concerned anglers did a cleanup before we got there today. Very encouraged to see the bar in decent shape after all the activity it had this season.

After dropping Big Steel off at Island 22 I spend nearly two hours on Wellington Bar, conditions looked great and I have never seen the Fraser this clear at this time of year.

While I waited for the bell to toll I picked up some more line along the shore and found about 10 pounds of bar weights as well. ;D I will never have to buy another bar weight thats for sure. They were from 14 ounces up to 20. I wandered a fair distance from the rod hoping that would help the bell to toll but however it remained silent.

Anyway just before I left I had the whole bar to myself, the silence of the moment except for the sound of the mighty Fraser flowing by as darkness began to set in was worth the trip all by itself as was the fellowship of Big Steel, one who is always willing to help when the need is there.

A big thanks to Big Steel, Norm, and over at Peg, 2:40, Winston along with fisherforever who showed up to help today and to all the others that pitched in over the weekend to give something back to the Fraser River. I am sure she appreciated it.

To those that could not attend one of the cleanups the last two days it is never too late. When you are out on any river just spend a few minutes to pick up some line or garbage left by the uncaring ones, you will feel good about it, we can and will make a difference but just like anything else it takes time.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 10:05:41 PM by chris gadsden »