Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: places still selling bb'ing gear...  (Read 3188 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
places still selling bb'ing gear...
« on: September 09, 2006, 06:59:32 PM »

I was at a popular tackle shop today, group of 4 guys came in and purchased a whole whack of BBing gear.  Staff politely asked "you're not intending on going after sockeye are you"?  Took them a bit and the one guy who spoke said "springs" as the other guys looked around all shifty-like.

Does anyone else think its a good idea for shops to stop selling BBing gear after sockeye season ends?  I mean, for the number of people doing it is it REALLY worth it to support the practice of flossing after the season is through?  I for one would feel better about buying from a shop that pulled it from the shelves once the non-selective methods were closed.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: places still selling bb'ing gear...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 07:07:16 PM »

One must keep in mind that with the possible exception of bouncing bettys, alot of the terminal gear used for bottom bouncing is also used for salmon and steelhead. For example corkies, spin n'glos and yarn.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 07:16:05 PM »

good point you have but you will always find people who will still bottom bounce and stores who will still sell it as they are making money.

fishfinder

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 08:47:05 PM »

The stores should lock up the betties after the season ends. The BB'ers had three or four months already and they shouldn't need to do it any more. It's all greed and stupidity.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 10:33:25 AM »

ya i'm not talking about corkies or stuff thats used for other fisheries, pretty much just bouncing betties and pre-setup flossing leaders. 

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 10:56:36 AM »

LOL! i love your discreption of the second guy " all shifty eyed" sounds like something out of a comedy skit. Its a good idea you have but im sure the stores care more about profits and wana get rid of all that crap for the year. Plus there is so many people just making their own bettys and or selling them, it would be hard to stop the flow.
[

nosey

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 11:40:05 AM »

Gun shops still sell guns out of hunting season, the onus is on the user not the seller, don't want to create a whole black market thing for betties and  leaders do we.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 01:05:01 PM »

Excellent point Nosey

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 07:34:23 AM »

a lot of the snagging gear is still used for proper fishing. Guys back bouncing and proper bottom bouncing for biters will use the round balls. The are becoming popular in fisheries like the Bella Coola system and on the Skeena., just check out some of those Skeena pictures posted in early August. The pre setup flossing leaders can always be cut down for reasonable fishing in smaller streams. The off season Fraser flosser just needs to be educated about fishing the right way for fish that bite.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 08:12:18 AM »

I use those lead balls (bouncing bettys) for mooching on salt water.  They are cheaper than mooching weight.  They are not meant for just bottom bouncing.  This thread topic serves no useful purpose in any logcal reason and show how limited some people knowledge about fishing.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 09:42:04 AM »

Wow..MatukaJack, I was just mentioning a troubling sight and posed a related question ....you own a fishing store by chance?  ???  Its plainly obvious that the betties CAN be used for other purposes, but down here you dont see alot of people using them on the rivers after flossing season is through.  Maybe on the skeena you see it, but ive yet to see it on the harrison, vedder, chehalis etc.  There is not much anybody can say about the long pretied leaders though...people wont pay more for a product just to "break it down" into its components when it actually costs more money to do that. That said , people will still buy out of season just to gear up for future use, I suppose...but what I saw happening, im sure wasnt the case.  The onus is always going to ultimately land on the user, youre right about that nosey...and if people were actually trustworthy and didnt disregard the regulations so much I wouldnt have posed the question....but since people still seem to be out there bb'ing and poaching....

I dont know...it was just bad thing to see.  It was so obvious that these guys were headed to the river to keep fishing sockeye and the sale still went through.  The really crappy thing is that this kind of behavior spreads if there are no consequences, and right now in our province these guys just arent getting caught enough to curb it.

btw Jack you should try using the banana weights they dont produce as much drag on the line as a betty does  ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 09:48:09 AM by marmot »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 09:45:48 AM »

Think of a shop owner who has $500 buck in fraser tackle sitting on his selves...I wouldnt want to tie that money up until next summer, he needs to free up is cash and use it for things that will generate sales the rest of the year.

As well, expecting shops to take betties off their shelves after sockeye closes is like asking them to enforce the regulations...they simply are not meant to do that type of job,  DFO is!  As a business that benefits from the resource, I think that if they are educatiung the users (ie sockeye is closed and DFO is asking for "selective techinques), then they have done their part.

weizen

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 09:49:52 AM »

Think of a shop owner who has $500 buck in fraser tackle sitting on his selves...I wouldnt want to tie that money up until next summer, he needs to free up is cash and use it for things that will generate sales the rest of the year.

As well, expecting shops to take betties off their shelves after sockeye closes is like asking them to enforce the regulations...they simply are not meant to do that type of job,  DFO is!  As a business that benefits from the resource, I think that if they are educatiung the users (ie sockeye is closed and DFO is asking for "selective techinques), then they have done their part.

I'm gonig to have to go with Gooey on this one.   The shops are doing there part, it's not up to them to do DFOs job.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 09:59:51 AM »

i really doubt anyone has $500 of pretied leaders sitting on shelves...if they do, theyve got bigger problems.  But ya, gooey you are right.

So obviously we cant really EXPECT stores to pull stuff; to me it would just be a good gesture for gear that is almost exclusively floss related. Its too bad really that the solution is as simple as just giving DFO some teeth, and we cant seem to fund it.  I havent been checked by DFO on Vancouver Island or the mainland in over 10 years....I was up in northern alberta fishing and was checked twice in one week, on two different systems (smokey and berland).