Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis river background  (Read 10964 times)

cammer

• I'm a llama!
Re: Chehalis river background
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2017, 11:15:32 PM »

Anything that works would be fine with me. I just know something has to be done. Since I /BCFDF were initially turned down , fishing has gotten worse and worse and worse. Truly sad as hell when you know what it could be .  All I can do is try, I would love to get a group together with some pull and support from chehalis band to improve the chances of something getting done

Tangles

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2017, 03:24:45 AM »

The Chehalis River Hatchery works in partnership with the Chehalis First Nation and the Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C. on various projects.
Straight from the DFO website http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/projects-projets/chehalis/chehalis-eng.html

Please DFO tell us more about those "various projects"!

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 12:23:27 AM »

Cammer you still trying to toss your brood tube across the river only to have it get washed away downstream?  :P

The river will always want to push straight through any object in its way. Look at the slides between Slesse and Alison pools on the Chilliwack system, one day the river will flow through that mountain of clay. The best thing to do would be reroute the outflow of the hatchery to the main river using what used to be the main river bed. I wouldn't even make any changes to the current dyke along the healing center. There is going to be so many permits and regulations involved to do so it will be silly. With all the cutbacks of this current day and age it's going to be very unlikely to have something done. The money to build hatcheries in the late 70's and early 80's is LOOOOOOOONG gone.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »

I agree. Difficult to achieve now a days however there is/ are monies if you've looked in right areas. Question is how much will it cost, ? A deflection rip rap wall works great as it has for many many years on vedder at bottom of Wilson on Native land,   and if my friend across the stream wasn't asleep he could of waded and got that tube. 

b8floater

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2017, 11:50:19 AM »

My family managed the Lodge property for twenty years starting back in 1980. We tried to get fisheries to address the rising river bed every year as the flooding of our property got worse every year. I could stand on our dikes, looking at the river in the distance, and the river level would be over my head.
Nothing was ever done, it was up to us and the Chehalis Band to try and divert the water and decrease the damage it was causing. I use to pick up trailers of dead coho and chum after the floods left them scattered across our property.
Getting them to do anything to this river seems to be a waste of resources and time from past experience. Very sad to see an easy limit fishery tank into another mismanaged tax payer money pit (hatchery).