Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Center pin set-up  (Read 10944 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Center pin set-up
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 09:41:07 PM »

he means 3 power id guess , 3wt would be a fly rod line rating
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 12:33:02 AM »

As I stated before I have a very limited knowledge of center pins so I'd appreciate some pointers as what to look in a center pin.
Don't care much about brand name, but a good quality, not necessarily Rolls Royce . There is limitation  how much I'm willing to spend on the whole set-up. Reels for $500 are out of my range.

Just walk in army and navy or any tackle store. Ask for cheap and good quality items. They will be more than happy to guide you through.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 10:15:04 AM »

For a first outfit I would recomend sticking with a 10'6" rod,11'3" is a lot of rod to handle/learn on.It also makes the rod more tip heavy.This can be countered by a heavier reel to balance the rig,but in turn makes the whole rig heavier. As mentioned the Loomis and the Lami are a bit on the stiff side. Most prefer a softer rod,I like something in between .Look at a Fenwick or Trophy xl.Look for a 10#-20# line rating in a m-mh power with a moderate-moderate fast action.As for a reel, light weight is not the be-all end-all.It may help start up but the inertia of a heavier spool will keep it spinning.Most reels have too much porting for my likes.I prefer a more solid face/backplate to keep debris/sand/dirt out.Left hand /right hand(clicker strength/lever/button/position )is another consideration.Some reels can be had either way,some the clicker favors one or the other and some are pretty even..This is where the touchy/feely hands on experience comes into play to decide what you like/feels right before you buy new or used.I too would recomend forgetting about the blackbird,not a true pin and would be a hard sell to get rid of if you did not like it.In the whole bushing/bearing debate I would say bearing since for the most part they are user servicable in regards to replacement.I would say an islander(used),campbell,raven,okuma,amundson,trophy winter-run would meet the needs of budget and quality.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

losos

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 02:58:09 PM »

So I decided to go with either 2106 or 3116 Trophy Titan just need to establish line rating for both since there is only power reference on the rod. No action and no line rating. Does anyone have idea about it?

Spoonman

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »

...just a heads up that these rods have a down-locking reel seat(fingers on reel seat threads) instead of an uplocking one (fingers on cork)that is prefered my most pin-heads....still a usable rod,just personal preference...

losos

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »

I'm well aware of that however from many rods that I tried Titan seems the best in this price range. Unfortunately rods with prefered reel mounting point , specs and price don't exist so I have to settle for the best compromise.

Spoonman

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »

....good to know (and the fish don't care).....rod action can be somewhat determined by shaking/flexing rods of known action and compared...slow action bends tip to cork/med action bends more from the middle/fast action 2/3 up...from what I've seen 2 power rods generaly have a lower line rating in the 6-10/8-12 range while a three power could be 8-15(17)/10-20.....this is only an educated guess as power ratings are subjective with no standard between companies...

losos

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »

Thanks Spoonman . I was hoping for 8-15/17 lb line rating rod. Visited most major and some smaller fishing stores in lower mainland ,but nobody could give me exact answer.
My other question would be what is your opinion about J W Young reels . I must admit their design caught my eye as they are
less common .

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »

Have you recommended looking for a used reel?? You can pick up a old avon or steelheader for reasonably cheap, which are both nicer then reels posted above. I had a lami 3113 but wouldn't buy one again. I broke it and sent it away for warranty and it took over 6 months too get back. I also have a jw young purist and love it but wouldn't ever buy one brand new for $400. Can usually pick them up used for under $200

losos

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 05:28:18 PM »

Of course i'm looking for used reel or rod, but it is hard to find one. I'm checking on daily basis Craig's list ,Amazon, Ebay or here. Usually or rather unusually careful with my rods not to break them ,but I understand how painful bad customer service can be.