Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planning My Trip To Chilliwack.  (Read 10930 times)

fish fishburn

Re: Planning My Trip To Chilliwack.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 04:32:54 AM »

Thanks for the reply eddy.  I have been reading alot of info over the last six months or so about salmon fishing.  I think I have the id of the various species down but I will have my regs with me just in case when I am out fishing.  The regs in B.C. seem so complicated to the regs here.  I am heading out to Lake Ontario next tuesday to fish for Salmon for three days, its will be all trolling of course but I am so pumped none the less.  Hopefully I will have some pics when I get back on Canada Day to post here for you guys.

I went out on the Ottawa River a few days ago fishing for Northerns and surrendered my new Curado 301 on a Shimano Crucial rod to the fishing gods.  I set my rod down in the middle of a retrieve to grab my sandwich and something real big grabbed it and over the side it went :-[ I'm going to take my buddy out with his scuba gear and try to locate it, hopefully we find it, the reel was only a week old.  The good thing is we were in only 10 f.o.w. the bad thing is it went over the side of the boat like it had an outboard attached to it so hopefully it got snagged before it was dragged to far. Tight lines and be safe out there.

katfish

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »

Agh.  I've had a few fishing mishaps too.  Just this year I lost my camera in Jacko lake, near Kamloops.  It was near shore and it happened just after ice off.  I stripped and jumped in but could not find it.  It was COLD lol.

I know you want to stick to salmon, but kamloops has the best rainbow trout fishing in the world IMHO.  Nothing is like a Kamloops Rainbow Trout.  Kamllops is about 2 hours away from chilliwack.  As someone pointed out, the Thompson may be open for Chinooks.  Tthis river is runs right through Kamloops.

Interesting you are coming over here in July because I am going to Montreal / Ottawa / Toronto in July.   I have someone there to help me try bass fishing so no worries about that.  I am a newb to salmon fishing, so I don't have too much to add.

Enjoy your stay.

fish fishburn

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 03:45:51 AM »

Great news. I headed up the river to where I lost my rod and reel almost 2 weeks ago.  I took my buddy with me and he brought along his snorkeling gear with him.  Just when he was about to call it quits after about a half hour of snorkelling he comes up with my rod and reel.

What a relief, it was wedged in between some logs with just the rod tip sticking up.  Also got my #5 Mepps spinner back as well.  So all in all it was a great day.  On the way home we pulled into the local hotel on the water and had a few pints and lunch, on me of course.  So my new reel is going to get a thorough cleaning and packed for my trip out to Chilliwack in three weeks.

F33shFr33k

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 12:53:13 AM »

Hey fishburn, since no ones offered, I'll take you out one day. Maybe smack a couple of salmon and send them back down on the end of the hook for some sturgeon. If you're up for it lmk and we can exchange numbers.

Cheers!

fish fishburn

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 05:46:53 AM »

Thanks F33, I will definitely get in touch with you.  Can we do that legally? Anyway I want to share a story with you guys.  I went to Bowmanville last week to do some salmon fishing on Lake Ontario for the first time.  I bought a few trolling rods and some gear and off we went.  We took my buddies 18ft lund with two driggers on it. He has only fished salmon once so we were not to sure what to expect.

Got on the water by 11 am and set the rods. By 11:15 a rod goes off, aalmost ripped the rod out of the holder and hes gone.  I reel in my gear and my swivel is broke in half, never seen that happen before. Had 5 more rods go off in the next hour and we lost every fish, same thing busted terminal tackle.

That evening at the hotel we were discussing the situation over a case of beer and we decided that our releases were not set up properly, theres no way the terminal tackle should be busting like that. It was all quality stuff Spro and Sampo. Got out the screwdriver and adjusted my dipsy's and worked on the drigger releases as well.

Headed out the next morning and it was rough out there my buddy was feeling sick so we had to come in.  Went out that evening and had 3 hits and got em all, Steelhead the heaviest being about 8 lbs (my first steelhead).  Headed out at six the next morning and within a half hour my monkey puke spoon goes off.  I grab the rod and this fish pulled off 300ft of line in 10 seconds, man what a feeling. Then I worked him to the boat and he was in the net.  A 20lb spring.  We got 4 more springs and were off the water by 11.  They were all in the 20 to 25 lb range.  What an amazing fish those Springs are and the Steelies are lots of fun, jumping all over the place.  I have lots of fish for the smoker now and have already had a few steaks off of one salmon.  I think I'm going to set my 25 cruiser up for salmon fishing since Lake O is only 3 hrs away and I am hooked on this type of fishing.  I can't wait to do it again on the end of July while I'm in Victoria for a few days.  My old buddy is going to take me out in the salt chuck.

F33shFr33k

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 01:10:41 AM »

Seems like you have some good friends in the right areas for fishing. Do you guys use flashers when trolling the big lakes or flasher off the ball and just spoon?

fish fishburn

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 04:30:27 AM »

Well because we are newb's to this type of fishing, we basically were doing what we learned off the net and sites like this one. I was using a flasher two ft ahead of my spoon and the dipsy about 4 ft from the flasher.  On our drigger lines we were using flashers and flies.  Same thing about 24 to 30 inches from the flasher.  On my buddies dipsy he was just going with the spoon about 4 ft from the dipsy.  I tried different spoons through out the trip but always went back to my monkey puke spoon(gold on the sides and chartreuse down the middle.  It was definitely the hot spoon.  As for the flies the chartreuse and white seemed to work the best but our biggest spring was caught on a purple and white fly.  I had a box of J plugs my buddy loaned me to try but I never got to try them. We were catching them a mile off shore in 25 to 40 ft of water in 90 to 110 ft of water.  We did okay for a couple of guys who didn't really know what the heck we were doing

phogan

• and wave them like you just dont care.
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 09:57:27 AM »

fshfrk - i would love to come out there too, both of you pm me and let me know when you guys are thinkin.
----------------------------------------------------------
you can never get enough.

F33shFr33k

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »

Ya man.

fish fishburn

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 03:24:40 AM »

Things are getting close to getting out of here and heading to B.C.  I am trying to sort out my fishing gear that I plan on bringing. For reels I am bringing a few baitcasters and a spinning reel. I have set up a small plano box for all my terminal tackle, hooks, swivels, split shot, jigs etc. I have tons of plastics but could use some advice on what to bring with me.

I have a small plano box for spoons, little cleos and a few krocodiles.  I want to add some spinners but am not sure what colour or blade size is required. If there are some must haves for fishing the Vedder and Fraser can someone let me know what it is and I will get it. Floats, line size and any other info would be great to know as well.  I know I will have to hit the local tackle shop to pick up a few things as I don't have access to salmon gear here, but I don't want to spend a day in the tackle shop when I can be out on the water.  F33 and Phogan I will get in touch with you guys later in the week. Thanks in advance, Fish

fish fishburn

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 04:09:51 AM »

I am also looking to spend a day on the Fraser fishing Sturgeon. Can anyone suggest some contacts for me?  I don't need to be owwwed and awwwed by a fancy jet boat, I get my speed thrills out of my bass boat.  Prefer to fish with the average Joe that understands these fish and where to catch them. Must also have half decent gear for me to use since I don't have it. I'm willing to take care of your expences for the day, gas, bait etc.  If this describes you or you know of someone pm me so I can address this as soon as possible.  Will be there between july 21 and aug 4. This is on my Bucket List of fish to catch.

F33shFr33k

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 10:48:45 AM »

Have all of the above, just hope we can find a few to get into.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »

As mentioned in my earlier post, here is the fishery notice that just came out for the chinook salmon opening on the Thompson River.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=133933&ID=recreational

Keep in mind that the river is still quite high so fishing may not be good at all despite of the opening.

F33shFr33k

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »

As mentioned in my earlier post, here is the fishery notice that just came out for the chinook salmon opening on the Thompson River.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=133933&ID=recreational

Keep in mind that the river is still quite high so fishing may not be good at all despite of the opening.
Thanks for the heads up Rodney. I'm not sure about fishburn, but I'm thinking of keeping it a little more local. And yes it will
be a bit of grind with the high water conditions. 

Cheers!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 03:06:41 PM »

Yippee. ;D ;D ;D