Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planning My Trip To Chilliwack.  (Read 10964 times)

fish fishburn

Planning My Trip To Chilliwack.
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:08:11 AM »

I'm in the preliminary stages of planning my trip out to Chilliwack this summer to try my hand at Salmon fishing.  I will be staying at a good friends place for 2 weeks who lives a 5 minute walk from the Vedder River. They will be both working during the day and I will have nothing to do but fish (poor me).

I would really appreciate some imput on what to bring to make the most out of my trip. For reels I am taking my Stradic 4000 and Curado 301 and a cronarch. As for rods I will probably buy what I need when I get there because none of my rods are over 7 ft long and I am thinking they are not long enough, and the selection of longer rods is really crappy here in my location (Ottawa). As for gear I will bring a small box of spoons, spinners, floats, and most of the terminal tackle that I think I will need.

Is the Vedder warm enough to wade without waders in mid July to lets say Sept or do I need some waders? I would like to know when is the best time to come out there? I can come any time after mid July. My species of preference is Chinook because of their size but any Salmon is fine with me. I also plan to spend a day in Mission and take a charter for Sturgeon.  Any reccomendations for a good charter would be appreciated so I can book my trip with them during my stay.

I am not a newb to fishing. I have been a tournament bass fisherman for over 20 yrs and was on the Nitro prostaff in the mid to late 90's. I am 50 yrs old and fit and can hump the river all day if needed. I would enjoy meeting some of the board members here during my stay and getting out on the flow and learn a few things.  I also have the use of a 14 ft tinny and motor while there if needed.

I know there are a few bass guys on the board here if you need something thats hard to find out there let me know because I probably have it or can get if for you before I come out there.  I really don't want to fish Bass while I am out there but hey, if someone can give me some pointers on the flow Salmon fishing in exchange I can give you a day of bassin tips.  Just show me where they are and I will show you how to catch them.

Looking forward to your replies and am getting so excited about my upcoming trip. Thanks in advance. Mike.
  P.S. Is it possible to rent some pin gear while I am there?  I really want to try it bad.

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Planning My Trip To Chilliwack.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »

if you can wait till october ,that will be the best time for chinooks,coho,pinks,chums , middle of july till middle august small run of red chinooks .better bet would be the fraser for chinooks all august if they open it. you are going to need a 10-11ft salmon rod.waders also.

Robert_G

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:45:32 PM »

Is the Vedder warm enough to wade without waders in mid July to lets say Sept or do I need some waders? I would like to know when is the best time to come out there? I can come any time after mid July. My species of preference is Chinook because of their size but any Salmon is fine with me. I also plan to spend a day in Mission and take a charter for Sturgeon.  Any reccomendations for a good charter would be appreciated so I can book my trip with them during my stay.

With the huge snowpack on the southcoast this year that is 3 weeks behind in melting.....you should NOT be wading the Vedder mid July. Not only will the water still be freezing, but depending on the weather, it may be dangerously high for wading....regardless, there will still be snowpack melting in early-mid July this year in that watershed. I suggest waders and common sense if you decide to stand in or cross the river or and side-streams.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 05:49:01 PM »

Take a look at this thread for reference as it contains quite a bit of information related to what you are asking for:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=21963.0

As ynot has pointed out, the Chilliwack River chinook salmon fishery in July and August is pretty small and not really worth coming up for. You'd experience much higher catch rates if you visit this area in early October. Keep in mind that this is a pink salmon year and we are expecting millions of them returning to the Lower Fraser River and tributaries such as the Chilliwack River. This can be good and bad. It's good if you'd like to catch many salmon in the 4 to 6lb range, but they can be a nuisance if you are targeting other species such as chinook and coho salmon at the same time. Those who experienced the Chilliwack River fishery in September/October 2009 will tell you that the river was plugged with pink salmon.

Since you're visiting the area from US, you should definitely consider visiting some of the other fisheries too. The Chilliwack River fishery does not really represent how good the fishing is in British Columbia. Check out some of the river and beach fisheries on Vancouver Island, as well as interior rivers where big trout feed on salmon eggs.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:46:29 AM »

Since you're visiting the area from US, you should definitely consider visiting some of the other fisheries too. The Chilliwack River fishery does not really represent how good the fishing is in British Columbia. Check out some of the river and beach fisheries on Vancouver Island, as well as interior rivers where big trout feed on salmon eggs.
As for rods I will probably buy what I need when I get there because none of my rods are over 7 ft long and I am thinking they are not long enough, and the selection of longer rods is really crappy here in my location (Ottawa). As for gear I will bring a small box of spoons, spinners, floats, and most of the terminal tackle that I think I will need.
Despite our desires - I think Ottawa is STILL in Canada  :o

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:58:53 AM »

Damn, that was a fail... :-\

Are they gonna take my citizenship away now? ;D

lapa

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 06:06:20 PM »

Damn, that was a fail... :-\

Are they gonna take my citizenship away now? ;D

Maybe not. But they will ask you to buy Non-Resident Alien license   ;D ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »

Ottawa is Canada's capital city. FYI. Let's hope you don't make the same mistake identifying fish. That's lots more serious. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fish fishburn

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:12:49 AM »

I was going to say something but I didn't want to alienate Rod.

fish fishburn

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 09:33:03 AM »

Thanks for the info so far.  Looks like I will be coming out around the end of July.  So if I want to catch Chinooks I guess I will havae better luck fishing for them on the Fraser.  I have access to a 14 ft tinny with a 15 hp motor. Would that be sufficient to get me to some of the areas to bar fish?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »

You should all be banned for pointing out my incompetency. ;D

Thanks for the info so far.  Looks like I will be coming out around the end of July.  So if I want to catch Chinooks I guess I will havae better luck fishing for them on the Fraser.  I have access to a 14 ft tinny with a 15 hp motor. Would that be sufficient to get me to some of the areas to bar fish?

Can't comment on the boat as I have no boating knowledge, but for the end of July, another option is to head up to the Thompson River if there is a chinook salmon opening. There usually is, keep an eye on the DFO's fishery notice or I usually have it posted on the website too.

fish fishburn

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 03:51:10 AM »

Hey Guys,
  Well I booked my flight today. I will be coming to Chilliwack on July21 to Aug4.  Thanks for all the info. Feel free to add more if you wish.  I will be out fishing on the 22 somewhere, this trip can't come fast enough. Thanks again.

phogan

• and wave them like you just dont care.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »

i live right off unsworth(stonesthrow to the vedder), you should have a blast out here
----------------------------------------------------------
you can never get enough.

fish fishburn

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 05:14:53 AM »

Thanks Phogan, I plan on having a blast, visiting good friends, eating lots of good food, and hopefully catching a few fish would be a bonus. My friends who's place I will be staying at said it is less then a five minute walk to the Vedder from his house. Not sure exactly where but I will find out the exact location before I go. It would be nice to meet a few board members from here while I am there.  If your going out during my stay and don't mind a newb tagging along, let me know, Ill buy the bait and lunch if for your time. Thanks.
Mike.

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 08:19:37 AM »

There is another river in Chilliwack, called the Fraser.  ;D It's on the north side of the Ciity. You could bike to it. The fishing should be excellent by the end of July. Sockey may or may not be open by then, but springs should be. Please watch out for the Coho if you do fish in the Fraser because these cannot be retained at that time of the summer. Please educate yourself before you come in identifying fish before you come and read up on the size and # of salmon limit.
On cold rainy days even in July, a breathable wader would be more comfortable than bear-legging it.
This is a beautiful part of BC and I believe very close to being the fishing capital of Canada.
Enjoy your stay.  :)