Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Line set up  (Read 11048 times)

Dogbreath

Re: Line set up
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 09:21:12 PM »

Can you please explain this??? Where does the "slider" come into play?

By "slider" I'm guessing you feed the main line through the swivel.
Correct

Is it not a pain in the butt to cram lead into a rubber.
Not if the tube is full of liquid silicone-which is sold cheap in large spray cans @ places like Canadian Tire.You need to hold the tube in a shallow curve to fill it as much as possible and you'll spill a bunch but it's cheap and evaporates once you're through.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 10:17:38 AM »

Whats the purpose of the tubing? That seems like  quite a bit of work when there are easier, quicker options

The tubing acts as a "break away" when you snag on the bottom (or a branch, etc).
The snag pulls on the weight and hopefully the rubber gives way before the line.

I just punch a hole in the lead and pass my main line through the hole above a swivel.

Much easier setup (less snags too because it is shorter) but it makes it more difficult if you are changing weights.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 10:52:02 AM »

i like putting the lead onto my mainline slip sinker style, by this i mean making a partial cut into it on each side then wiggling side to side so it breaks off leaving the inner hole open, i feed my line through it entirely. I find this has alot more sensitivity and drifts really nice with good control
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fetoid

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 07:48:05 PM »

There are pliers out there that you can buy which will help you punch holes in lead.

Also, there is a way to fold over the surgical tubing and cut a small hole in it.  Place your lead in the tubing.  Then loop your line through it and then pass your weight which is in the tubing through that.  Then pull the line tight and this way the tubing is attached to the main line.  Also, it is adjustable, meaning; you can move it up or down the line.  With the other set-ups I've seen, you can't adjust where the weight is on the line.  I will try to find a youtube posting of this method.  If I can't, ask you local tackle shop to explain it to you.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 08:09:35 AM »

Whats the purpose of the tubing? That seems like  quite a bit of work when there are easier, quicker options

--adjusting weight as well as break away when snagged..
--can easily reduce weight by cutting with wire cutters and can add larger weight.
--river flow changes even when in same spot... but for sure when moving along river can quickly adjust for different drift.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 08:22:57 AM »

how are you supposed to adjust your weight when its completely covered in tubing? And how is it supposed to break away? Yes if you use just a bit of tubing but if you completely cover it, it seems pointless and a waste of time. Using silicone to get it to slide in? There are way easier methods..IMO

--good point... I only have tubing over about 1/4 of the lead so I can either cut the lead off or change size from selection I carry with me.
--only thing to watch when cutting lead and also when changing is that there are no jagged edges on the lead from rock bumps or the cut area as this will rub on the line
--If I don't want lead banging on the rocks then us old slinky type.. lead shot in a shoe lace as a tube weight