Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ANY ONE TRYING TO LOSE LBS ???  (Read 11031 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: ANY ONE TRYING TO LOSE LBS ???
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 06:46:59 PM »

I've never seen Rodney biking or jogging ...in the Steveston area yet he is so so trim & slender. (Once I thought I seen him on a bike but the chap had sun-glasses & helmet etc...so I didn't want to say "Hi Rod"...incase it was not him)
So I've come to a conclusion why Rodney  has no excess lbs... even by his own account stated he lost a few lbs he'd disappear..... he must be "A GREAT LOVER !!!!"   ;D
Jan 7 start of diet...3 mos. from now I should be the new & improved me...putting all that advice to work.
I'm sure alot of members are on a diet as well ...Staff at a bakery told me their bread still sells well in January but all the other stuff...cakes,brownies,cookies nanimo bars,pastry, etc sales take a big drop but by Valentine's Day sales again come back.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:52:06 PM by arimaBOATER »

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 07:50:30 PM »

arimaboater , i  in july 09 i was 240  , i now weigh 195  and feel better than ever . but its not over .
  the one major tip i can give you is not to drink  calories!  i  havent  had a sip of juice or reg. soda for 6 months now , maybe in the morning ill have some skim milk . . drink as much diet soda  you want now   , i can never have enough!  , 
good luck.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »

arimaboater , i  in july 09 i was 240  , i now weigh 195  and feel better than ever . but its not over .
  the one major tip i can give you is not to drink  calories!  i  havent  had a sip of juice or reg. soda for 6 months now , maybe in the morning ill have some skim milk . . drink as much diet soda  you want now   , i can never have enough!  , 
good luck.

Google the affects of aspartame. Too much artificial sweetener is not good for you. Congrats on the weight loss and your correct many people drink their calories. I tell my clients all the time dont drink your calories!! Oh and office workers, avoid the daily donuts ;)

People who have office jobs are usually the ones to gain the most weight. Sitting around for 8 hours and not getting any exercise will put weight on anyone.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »

So I've come to a conclusion why Rodney  has no excess lbs... even by his own account stated he lost a few lbs he'd disappear..... he must be "A GREAT LOVER !!!!"   ;D

Now that's just wrong on so many levels.  And I was enjoying this thread!  Now if you had said Rodney must be a great gardener, or great at puzzles, or great at fixing a flat tire, or even if it was a woman saying it.....well, that I'd be OK with.  :D   :D                     

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 02:01:31 AM »

;D

I used to do a bit of biking. ;D

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »

Hey BB

Well I am still not 100% sure, I haven't been training for almost a year now, I am getting back into snowboarding, racquetball/squash, running with my dog... I got rid of my golds membership and I now go to the rec center, I am targeting being healthy and in shape more than being big and ripped..

that being said once I turn 40 which is the end of this year I qualify for the masters division in BB, so I might make a comeback next year and do the Emerald Cup again but as a master this time.. only time will tell, not being married to the gym has been very nice, having time to myself to pursue other activities has been a lot of fun !! BB is such a huge commitment of time and it just doesn't really seem Worth it anymore
cheers Rick
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:02:38 AM by TrophyHunter »

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »

kk salt WOW... that's alot of weight to lose in that period of time...see ya mean buissness. Congrads. !!! You inspire me. Tomorrow is start of diet.

Ya from the posts I've read  know Rodney is easy going & we can kid or tease him a bit !!! (joke around)
Mind you he sure had me fooled (& alot of us) on April Fool's Day...giant Gold fish or whatever it was. :o

As BB said aspartame has some neg. affects (from what I re-call not good for the brain)

On the 700 Club or CBN(Pat Robertson) every Wed. on their website...they have what they call "skinny Wednesday".
 They have experts on health foods or exercise etc... I remember they talked about the evils of MSG.
Expert said MSG ( which has about 30 dif. names ...when ya look at the ingredient label of a food product so companies are sneaky in hiding it from the general public) ......... said this MSG will bring on "dementia" & also it will make our heart muscle "mushy".  :o
The sad thing is so so many food products contain it. EDIT IN: Heard that India has no dementia as they eat lots of "curry". Curry experts have claimed stop or prevent that brain disease.

No suprize we have so much health problems when McDonalld's & pizza places are so popular.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:25:39 PM by arimaBOATER »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »

Hey BB

Well I am still not 100% sure, I haven't been training for almost a year now, I am getting back into snowboarding, racquetball/squash, running with my dog... I got rid of my golds membership and I now go to the rec center, I am targeting being healthy and in shape more than being big and ripped..

that being said once I turn 40 which is the end of this year I qualify for the masters division in BB, so I might make a comeback next year and do the Emerald Cup again but as a master this time.. only time will tell, not being married to the gym has been very nice, having time to myself to pursue other activities has been a lot of fun !! BB is such a huge commitment of time and it just doesn't really seem Worth it anymore
cheers Rick

Yup they take up allot of time as well as getting very grumpy in the last few weeks.

You were probably due for a break. The joints can only handle lifting heavy for so long. You know what those old guys look like that have been lifting heavy all their lives. They are hunched over, have several joint issues etc etc. Go out and enjoy those other forms of exercise that are fun and can be enjoyed by people you like to have around you.

I wish you well my friend. Hope our paths cross and we can share some BS and some fishing together.
Bryan

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

arimaBOATER

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 01:31:24 PM »

Yesterday was my birthday so did not count the calories... 6 beer late plus food... BUT today is the start of my diet. Haven't weighted myself for 3 wks. (was 185 lbs at that time) & over the Christmas & New Year & birthday...big meals, invites out, chocolates from neighbours, wife buys a big bag of fresh white buns one day, beer yesterday..... Well like 2 boxers have to do a weigh in the day before the fight...I did my weigh in but infront of a mirror. (very accurate scale)  Ikes.... 190lbs. :o

Well at least I know the result ...need to lose exactly 30lbs. to get down to 160. (even 155 would be ideal) Wife says she's also on a diet as of today. (her target "20lbs" )
We were having conversation today & we said that when we get down to the weight we want to lose ,after that we have to get on the scale every 3 days. This way if we start to gain we can make quick adjustments.
The hardest part is deciding to lose. After that it is easy.

BB I seen on tv Japanese men in their 70's who do weight training & they looked "SUPER". (looked 25 yrs younger) They used lighter weights so it was not too hard on their joints so they said.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 05:11:24 PM »

BB I seen on tv Japanese men in their 70's who do weight training & they looked "SUPER". (looked 25 yrs younger) They used lighter weights so it was not too hard on their joints so they said.

I've done weights since I turned 18 because every sport that I did that was part of it.  Sometimes it was for endurance, and other times it was for power or for strength depending on what sport I was focussing on at the time.  My last stint for training with heavy weights for strength and power was through my late thirties and right up to my mid forties because I was seriously training to be a better, faster sprinter (200m, 400m).  I didn't think I was "there" unless I could bench 100 lbs. over my body weight or twice my weight for a squat.  At age 45 I was as strong as I have ever been through out my life.  

But due to a couple of injuries and surgeries not related to training in the gym I've totally had to give up doing heavy weights.  A big part of it is because of my age.  I don't doubt for a second that a good part of my shoulder pain and some of my knee discomfort has come from lifting heavy, as BB has suggested, but for me I think my joints are in the condition they are is because of all the wear and tear due the hard core activities I've participated in over the last 40+ years.....hockey, lacrosse, freestyle skiing (blew out my knee the first time there), flying over my handle bars far too many times to even count mountain biking, teaching approx. 2500 fitnesss classes, ten years of triathloning, 20 years of road running, and 12 years sprinting....even fishing 75+ days per day.  

They all took their toll but I wouldn't have wanted to give up on any of those things despite having a beaten up body.  I definitely have some arthritis in both shoulders, some calcification of the tendons running through the joint capsules in both shoulders and some bursitis.  Could have probably avoided a lot of that with better warmups.  When you're young you think you can just walk into a gym, throw a couple of 45's on and just start banging off reps.  I'm sure if I was to do the same warmup I've been having to do for the last 8 years I wouldn't have a lot of that joint discomfort and wouldn't be on a daily dose of celebrex. Since we bought our cabin 5 years agop I've given up on competing.  Would rather fish every weekend instead of going to track meets.  

Besides I'm kind of burnt out.  Just keeping reasonably fit by my standards doing "school girl" weights.  Any more than that causes too much irritation to my joints.  I still train 6 days a week but I now I train smarter not harder....even though, I still have a lot of aches and pains so I could be a lot "smarter" yet!  

So for all you guys who are gung ho to lose weight, get fit, and hit the gym, pay heed especially if you're over 40 and haven't been on a regular exercise program.   Get in a good warm up!  It takes muscle tendons 6 times longer to catch up with muscle strength so take it slow over the next few months....otherwise you'll have to suffer through tendonitis, bursitis, and sorer muscles than you need to. As Brian said, going too heavy just because you think you can will takes it's toll on the body.  You can get a good level of fitness just by exercising regularly with lighter weights and more reps.....just takes a litttle longer is all. It's all worth it in the end!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:17:22 PM by mastercaster »

fish fishburn

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 05:15:26 AM »

Anything with flour or sugar in it, dont eat. Its that easy. good luck.