Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bamfield, help!  (Read 6666 times)

canso

• Old Timer
Bamfield, help!
« on: August 07, 2007, 09:52:47 PM »

taking my fist trip to Bamfield this weekend with my father.
he has been out of fishing for over 20years and always fished local waters.
I noticed it has been foggy lately so we now have a GPS to help out as a little insurance.

I'm looking for fishing spots for Salmon, Cod , Halibutt, Prawns and Crab.

I figure the Wall would be the stretch to the right after leaving the Bamfield Inlet.

I willing to go offshore if needed.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Bamfield, help!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 11:19:06 PM »

Poet Nook is a nice spot to stay and close to good fishing. Google it for more details.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:24:02 PM »

offshore is hot hot hot. what are you running? are you experienced? If you can get on the banks youll be into lots of fish.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:35:56 AM »

I'm running a 20footer with scotty elec. downriggers. mainly a bait fisherman using anchovys off a hotshot flasher. the odd time i might chuck out herring out the back.

I like to think I'm experienced, I've mainly fished the across the Strait to the Islands aswell as bowen and west Van. area.

I'm hoping there will be boats to follow out to the banks as i don't know the area(is that the 7mile people talk about?)
I'm imagening going against large rollers on the way out. Is the run out easyer at high slack?

I mainly fish Salmon and Crab and years ago Cod.  The only Hali and Prawn experance is from people and online notes.

Thanks

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »

If you have a kicker(or some sorta secondary power) plus electronics(vhf ect) and its calm the banks should be fine. If you got make friends you can even fish in groups for extra assurance. Ask around see whats hot. Anchovies are always a sure bet though. Whatever happens i can almost guarentee you get lots of fish and a good time. Ill be out in the sound saturday

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 05:43:43 PM »

taking my fist trip to Bamfield this weekend with my father.
he has been out of fishing for over 20years and always fished local waters.
I noticed it has been foggy lately so we now have a GPS to help out as a little insurance.

I'm looking for fishing spots for Salmon, Cod , Halibutt, Prawns and Crab.

I figure the Wall would be the stretch to the right after leaving the Bamfield Inlet.

I willing to go offshore if needed.

Offshore has been reported to have been "hot". However, running 15-25 miles out past Beal.. one way would seem to be counter productive when you could very well fish the wall, places like Kirby, Diplock, Cree, the Meares Bluffs, Beal, etc. I'm sure there will be Coho around offshore from these areas and Springs too.

If you're 25 miles out, and your main power fails, and no one else is around to hear you or save you, it's a LONG run back on a kicker.

For that reason, Sooke offers a nicer experience as there is no logging road to kill your vehicle on, services are abundant, there's plenty of other boats, and arguably as many fishing opportunities at any given time with plenty of fish relatively speaking. Good guides from Sooke regularly hook their guests  2-5 decent sized springs on a half day charter at this time of year, with all the pinks and more than a few Coho as well.

For all these reasons, running 50-55 miles round trip for a days worth of fishing with gas consumption for of 100 litres plus plus plus, I would suggest that there are safer and more economical alternatives to fishing way offshore in a boat like yours. Besides, what if you get all the way out there, it's going to be Coho city, and all you find is 4 springs when you could have stuck it out elsewhere and hooked 4 nice springs on the wall in flat calm safe waters with a few Coho to boot?

7 mile is overrated in the biggest way, and at this time of year the big fish are going to be found in the top 80 feet of water.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 03:47:14 PM »

why try and scrape up 2-3 springs when you can be hitting tons of fish. FM read some sooke reports springs right now are sllllllow and pinks are fun for only so long. Runnin to 5,7 mile isnt to far and if its rough fish the inside. The migratory fish are comin in now with some size.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 06:01:24 PM »

why try and scrape up 2-3 springs when you can be hitting tons of fish. FM read some sooke reports springs right now are sllllllow and pinks are fun for only so long. Runnin to 5,7 mile isnt to far and if its rough fish the inside. The migratory fish are comin in now with some size.

Actually Kellya your report is wrong. I know a few Sooke/Renfrew guides, and there's plenty of fish there. I spoke to a couple of them last night. Case in point, EACH trip (morning charter and afternoon charters) for the last week they have bagged 2-5 springs from 20-34 lb with greenhorn guests.

Hitting tons of fish off the Banks ...I should damn well hope so!!! 5 to 7 mile will have tons of Coho and is a waste of time for springs at this time of year unless there's hoards of bait out there to keep the fish there. Got to head out to 24 mile.  I don't know about you but after 10 straight Coho I get really.. bored and catching and releasing 500000 Coho isn't great for the resource. But then again, there's all these small feeder (45cm-70cm) springs that people persist on killing year round in Bamfield/Ucluelet. 

In about a week and a half there should more springs than one knows what to do with off the Wall.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint