Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: West Van Ramp to Close?!?  (Read 6754 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
West Van Ramp to Close?!?
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:08:15 AM »

I haven't read the full story in the Sun (link below) just the NS News.  Seems pretty rediculous unless they intend to create another launch in that area (we use to use one near the train yard), I don't know if thats still functional too?

That busy ramp means $$$ are being spent in that community but the WV council is treating it like an albatros!  It seems like once again govenment (municipal) is not considering the true economic value of the sports fishing industry!

If I had a boat still, i'd be at the next council meeting!

METRO VANCOUVER - The District of West Vancouver's Ambleside waterfront is slated for an overhaul that will see the removal of the floral clock and the decommissioning of the boat ramp.

Full story: http://www.vancouversun.com/West+Vancouver+enlarges+waterfront+park+access/2924950/story.html

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: West Van Ramp to Close?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:41:24 PM »

Again pressure from marina owners to close down all public operated boat launches has just about closed all of them in the lower mainland. These marinas are hurting big time, as the price of gas has meant a major loss of boat owners with those old gas guzzling motors selling out. Local politicians are cashing in at the expense of the public boat owner. In the end it will affect boat sells and kill off that industry. Unless your paddling. It will be replaced with a Bistro or curio/bouquet stall. Even Ricky Martin saw this coming.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

ksan

Ambleside Boat Ramp Meeting Tonight
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:39:12 AM »

The issues surrounding the Closing Down (decommissioning) of West Vancouver’s only Public Boat Launching facility is on the agenda for tonight’s West Vancouver City Council Meeting.
The meeting will be held at West Van City Hall at 7:00PM April 17th   (Tonight)
West Vancouver Municipal Hall 750 - 17th Street

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »

The amount of boat launches on B.C.,s waters is a disgrace.

andychan

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:59:56 AM »

The amount of boat launches on B.C.,s waters is a disgrace.

Perhaps there is room for a co-op idea for a launch. Sort of a sportsfisherman contributing thing. I'll check to see what the regs are on that - maybe a tax break for donations too.

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »

City council's and thier bright ideas. Whoever thought of the idea of closing down boat launches in a port city should give thier head a shake ???

Sea Nymph

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 06:02:02 AM »

It could be all the local business's whining about the cars and trailers parking in front of their stores.

Bill

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »

It could be all the local business's whining about the cars and trailers parking in front of their stores.

Does any one know if they have decommissioned the boat launch. I was planning on fishing over there next week. My next question is     what other options is there where someone can  launch a 21 ft boat over on the North Shore or close to it.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »

Horseshoe bay will be the best location. Cates Park is closed right now for dock work and will be for a couple more weeks.
  Surprising when one looks around at how few boat launches we have considering the amount of water we are surrounded by.

fish bonk

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 11:22:59 PM »

And Rockey Point just got down sized. Due to the Boat House. Just give your head a shake, Port City.

Bill

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 06:40:50 AM »

Thanks rin
I did launch at Sewell's, it is not to bad well protected from the elements easy unload and reload, caught a few it was a good day over all.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »

I will be honest.  i work in that area of west van and what a flipping joke.  they treat parking spots like gold. 

I think its all about having people park all day... its a funny community though.   
see ya on the river

CameronT120

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 12:29:47 PM »

West Vancouver district council rescinded this decision during a regular council meeting at the end of May. 

Bill

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 02:53:52 PM »

Great thx for the info.

Bill