Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paul Lake  (Read 1055 times)

RonniePache

Paul Lake
« on: June 06, 2012, 06:18:17 PM »

Hi Everyone,
Looking at possibly going to Paul lake for the annual "boy's trip".  I haven't seen much about this lake other than it's stocked annualy, and different claims on size (anywhere from 1-7lbs), was wondering if anyone fishes there.  Not looking to land "Walter", just for some good, steady action.  We did Chain and Osprey lakes last year, but I don't want to go to the same ol' spots.  Planning on trolling leaches mostly, but any other tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Paul Lake
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »

Hi Everyone,
Looking at possibly going to Paul lake for the annual "boy's trip".  I haven't seen much about this lake other than it's stocked annualy, and different claims on size (anywhere from 1-7lbs), was wondering if anyone fishes there.  Not looking to land "Walter", just for some good, steady action.  We did Chain and Osprey lakes last year, but I don't want to go to the same ol' spots.  Planning on trolling leaches mostly, but any other tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks

From what I recall, Paul is a big lake, so locating fish will be a challenge.  I recommend a fish finder or at least a sounder to locate the structure and the depth the fish can be found at.  Once you have solved that problem, the usual flies would do.  Try hanging halfbacks right off the bottom or stripping leeches and damsel patterns near any weed beds.  I know that there are large fish in there, but they were taken using illegal methods (silver "worms").  You can always try trolling large streamers to take these behemoths legally.
Not all those who wander are lost

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: Paul Lake
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:38:43 PM »

Depending on time of year Paul is excellent fishing. Before mid July it is excellent. I fish it every year when I take newbies out because of the steady action. There is the odd fish over three pounds in there but most are 12-16". It is a really fun lake though don't get me wrong. I love it if I am heading out for an afternoon as its 15 minutes from my front door.
always a student