Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: okuma aventa line amount  (Read 6890 times)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
okuma aventa line amount
« on: March 17, 2011, 06:10:35 PM »

hey everyone just wondering how many of you have a okuma aventa cp reel and how much line and backing and what pound line you run on it. i will be getting this reel by saturday and dont know how much line to run  ??? i will probly go 12lb maxima line but not sure how much of it and the amount of backing. and i already got a rod.
thanks.  :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Re: okuma aventa line amount
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »

275 yards of 8 pound line with 50 yards of 20 pound backing.

Not 8 lb main line when he try to fish at the vedder steelhead (not smolts) ::)

brownmancheng

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 11:48:17 AM »

275 yards of 8 pound line with 50 yards of 20 pound backing.

You put more than one type of line for mainline?? This is new to me as I have always just filled my reel with maxima 12 and then lighter leader. What purpose does the backing serve?

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »

You put more than one type of line for mainline?? This is new to me as I have always just filled my reel with maxima 12 and then lighter leader. What purpose does the backing serve?

To prevent possible warped or cracked spool by putting on some  backing first and then the mono fishing line. Putting on straight mono on a centerpin reel will keep tightening on the spool over time and can cause it to crack.

obie1fish

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »

No myth. It's happened a lot on single action salmon reels- especially the old Peetz ones (which were designed for steel line). The line pressure also goes to the sides, jamming the sides of the spool against the reel housing. Seen that on metal reels. Doesn't make for fun, since it uaually reaches the jamming stage partway through a fight.

I like stretch in my mono, but make sure some backing is on there, too. As for my Aventa, I use 12 - 15 lb. for the Vedder.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:18:50 PM »

ya i got it spooled with 50yrds of backing then 250 or close to it with 12 lb maxima chamelion.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

brysonk

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:16:43 AM »

Who sells okuma aventa's? Thinking about getting into a cp setup and looks like a decent starter reel. Also how much do they retail here?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 09:21:04 AM »

Who sells okuma aventa's? Thinking about getting into a cp setup and looks like a decent starter reel. Also how much do they retail here?

Hatch Matchr fly and tackle in Maple Ridge. They are also a sponsor of this site.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »

army and navy in langley. was 220 dollas but if you buy your license there you get 15 % off. i think it came to 185 with tax. but ya mine spins 2 mins 20 secs right out of the box. its a nice good starter reel.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 06:15:48 PM »

you can get them for like $149 from fishusa.com and ship to a box just across the border for free
A swung fly is the best fly.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »

you can get them for like $149 from fishusa.com and ship to a box just across the border for free
i bought my rod at a&n also so i got 2 drennens some swivels and split shots free also  ;D

brysonk

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »

Just bought an aventa and fenwick hmx at army and navy. Looks like a nice reel to get started with. I just got them to spool it for me with ug 15lb.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »

Just bought an aventa and fenwick hmx at army and navy. Looks like a nice reel to get started with. I just got them to spool it for me with ug 15lb.

first pin?
A swung fly is the best fly.

brysonk

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 07:09:59 PM »

yeah just started fishing the river this fall  :-\

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 07:34:24 PM »

yeah just started fishing the river this fall  :-\
youll like it, i used mine at a small system close to me, yesterday evening and this morning for casting practice casts nice, real easy to get the hang of to, and if you get a tangle super easy to untangle.
great first pin, i dont regret buying mine  ;D
and i got a couple fish to   ::)