Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Summer fishing  (Read 1854 times)

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
Summer fishing
« on: April 25, 2006, 11:48:03 AM »

Hey all

I'm in the midst of planning a couple fishing trips this summer and I'm kind of stumped. I'm thinking lower mainland and southern interior as locations, maybe vancouver island as well.

What fishes well in June and in August in these locations?
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Summer fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 03:01:08 PM »

Not a whole lot happening down here during that time unless:

• You have access to a boat and wish to do some barfishing on the Fraser River for red chinook salmon.
  • You want to join the crowd during the sockeye opening, which isn't very pleasant at all.

I would suggest that you try out bass fishing at the lakes around your area. Originally we were thinking about a trip to Vaseaux Lake, which can be good between June and August, but that plan has been scratched I think.

In August, since you are interested in flyfishing, I would recommend to give the Thompson River a go. Your target species are rainbow trout and mountain whitefish, plus largescale sucke and northern pikeminnow. Last August we managed to did a trip and were able to connect with a few nice rainbow trout. Go to the photo gallery, bottom right corner, "Pictorial Tour of Thompson River".

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 03:05:54 PM »

June is still prime time for Cariboo trout fishing. If your lucky you may even encounter a travelling sedge hatch.
Actions speak louder than words.

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 08:34:10 PM »

Well I'm learning how to flyfish so I'm not restricting my fishing to it just yet.

But thanks for the info anyway.

Anyone know about June and August fishing on Vancouver Island?
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

winter steel

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 09:27:33 PM »

Prettyfly, the island has many opportunities throughout the summer for various types of fishing. However, if you do not have a boat you are limited somewhat. Places like Tofino, Port Alberni Winter Harbour on the west coast of the island are all good places to fish with a boat. The east coast of the island has been hit or miss in the past few years (mostly miss) due to the salmon migrating around VI as opposed to through the inside passgae. However, that might change this year as there seems to be more herring around the inside passage than in years past and so places like Campbell River, Comox and Port Hardy might be worth a go. A boat is definately an asset in these places.
   The island also has some great summer steelheading and lake fishing should freshwater fishing be your fortait. You can always call an island tackle shop (island outfitters) and they can help you more with specifics or flip through a freshwater/slatwater fishing directory (available at your local shop). These directories offer some additional info plus they include maps that are not to bad. Tight lines, winter steel.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 09:43:40 PM »

I got some info on the island if you can be a bit more specific

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 10:01:17 PM »

I'm not really certain... but probably central island, not too far north... campbell river, tofino.. somewhere in that general area.