Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Summer Runs  (Read 3736 times)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Summer Runs
« on: April 23, 2006, 04:11:37 PM »

I have never fished for them in the chehalis but I know there there. What kinda gear do you use, ie. lighter leader line, size 4 hooks, drennans. I only really know the hatchery portion and i doubt there would be any water in it so, canyon im guessing. Any info would be greatly appriciated.

thanks

dnibbles

Re: Summer Runs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 07:41:18 PM »

Look in the canyon, and use bait. Summer fish are suicidal for bait. They can stack up pretty good in some pools, I do a lot of sight fishing for them in June/July.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 07:51:36 PM »

thanks alot hlbat, what about line? 6lb leaders?

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 10:22:21 PM »

hahah I forgot about that crap ::)

hifly

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 01:51:48 PM »

4lb maxima, size 6 hooks, mini roe sacks or pink rabbit leeches size 8, good bushwackin gear, there already in, try midd canyon prolly more around there got one 2 weeks ago up top. if your driften, 20 gram zepplers seem to do the job for floats.
<*))))>{

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 02:11:01 PM »

4lb maxima, size 6 hooks, mini roe sacks or pink rabbit leeches size 8, good bushwackin gear, there already in, try midd canyon prolly more around there got one 2 weeks ago up top. if your driften, 20 gram zepplers seem to do the job for floats.

4lb??????  you sneeze on that stuff it snaps!!  dunno if I would go that small for steel.

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

dnibbles

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 03:12:58 PM »

Yah 4 lb seems a little excessively small, 6 should be plenty light enough. I've never got them on bugs because I've never found the need to go pump them when anything else seems to work. Pro-cured prawn tails, roe (even shitty gas station roe works well), dewies, it all works. They'll be in there on opening day, but I usually wait a couple weeks after that to head in there. Fresh fish in there right now I would assume to be late winter/spring run fish, not true summers. They would be spawning this spring, unlike true summers, who will hold over until next year.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 03:32:55 PM »

Just use 8 pound fluoro it is less visible and has around the same breaking strength. Would a summer run hit a bug?

Most definitely

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 03:47:35 PM »

Using bait for summer runs is cheap, they'll chase down a fly, I've even caught them on dries... It'll take your breath away! Use a dry line and weigted fly to entice shy fish.

Why not try something a little different? it's not like they will take nothing but bait...

It's not like winter run fishing, catching summer runs is dead easy if you can find them and they aren't being molested.

Cheers,
nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 03:50:13 PM »

wow thanks alot for all the information, wasnt expecting to get this much. Keep it comming, when does the fishing usually start to get decent in the chehalis?

Bone Cross

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 05:12:23 PM »

I agree with hifly with using the 4lb leaders. I use 6lb during the high waters. If you don't play the fish like an idiot you won't have any problems.
from a Redneck point of View!