Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011/2012 Wally Hall Jr Memorial Steelhead Derby  (Read 24150 times)

DaCount

Re: 2011/2012 Wally Hall Jr Memorial Steelhead Derby
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »

Yes it was me that caught the (unoficial) 11lb doe.  As for Preliators comment...Lol, moving in on your run. Well, excuse me.  I fished that stretch of water just as a steelheader does.  It started up river and slowly made my way down unitl I was just up river from you.  I didn't even pass you.  Its not my fault you grounded and pounded that section all morning.  As for assuming I am just a fisherman left over from salmon season...well if thats what one would be wearing $1000 in Simms gear and a $500 centrepin reel... ok then.  You had but merely a cheap fly setup.  I would question whether you are left over from flying pinks.

paul1971

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2011, 04:19:39 PM »

The cost of youre gear is a strange way to make youre point.

mzmann

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »

"Ding Ding" Round one "FIGHT" lmfao  ;D

on a semi separate note that I just couldn't resist commenting on........so wearing $1000 in simms gear and using a $500 center pin makes one a "Pro" steelheader?.....just curious cause if so then i'm heading out to get me a bit of new gear!!! LOL  :D

He didn't say you were a leftover from the salmon season....he just said that he figured the salmon fishing tactics left with the salmon season......personally I think he was quite polite in his wording and even went as far as to say good job, was nice to see another steelie caught, no hard feelings, etc, etc

All things aside though, still good to hear that they are being caught. :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:34:41 PM by mzmann »
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2011, 05:22:30 PM »

gear doesnt mean anything....

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2011, 05:53:24 PM »

gear doesnt mean anything....

x2 i didn't know $1000 simms gear catches fish
A swung fly is the best fly.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »

Yes it was me that caught the (unoficial) 11lb doe.  As for Preliators comment...Lol, moving in on your run. Well, excuse me.  I fished that stretch of water just as a steelheader does.  It started up river and slowly made my way down unitl I was just up river from you.  I didn't even pass you.  Its not my fault you grounded and pounded that section all morning.  As for assuming I am just a fisherman left over from salmon season...well if thats what one would be wearing $1000 in Simms gear and a $500 centrepin reel... ok then.  You had but merely a cheap fly setup.  I would question whether you are left over from flying pinks.
3 posts? I smell a troll. Did like the grounded and pounded all morning comment though.If true,i would have done the same thing,move around the fenceposter and keep on trucking.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »

You only have a grand worth of Simms gear? Ive got a grand worth of Flies in my box. My rod is worth at least 15K, and another 10 for my reel. My waders? Solid gold. My fly line is just a pliable diamond. You couldnt steelhead like me if you tried! You and your cheap simms gear and measly little centerpin. Get good.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

DaCount

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2011, 08:50:54 PM »

The point I was trying to make about the money spent on my gear is I wouldn't spend all that money on gear to just go out to the river like some hack trying to snag fish or poach others fishing spots.  I know all about fishing etiquette.

bunnta

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 08:58:30 PM »

a lot of new guys that just got into salmon fishing got deep pockets too ;) and going into a tackle store getting the "best" gear recommended. So..i doubt paying certain amount of $$ would mean much at all now, its pretty much about what kind of items presentation and specific spots your aiming for that makes you stand out better than the rest.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 09:06:12 PM »

Preliator you got nothing to bitch about here, DaCount did absolutely nothing wrong, you played a fish down through the run and he was working his way down river, if he stepped in below you then yeah I would be bitching too. If it was just a bull trout too why would you need to walk down river with it? Just hold your ground and play the fish out if you were worried about losing your spot. Ahhh I just reread your post saying first ever bull trout........well I guess you havent been river fishing much anyways if thats your first ever. LOL But everything in this situation is fine. Sure id be a little pissed a guy caught a fish in the spot I just pounded too but thats the way river fishing works.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:10:06 PM by Trout Slayer »

Preliator

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 10:27:03 PM »

If it was just a bull trout too why would you need to walk down river with it? Just hold your ground and play the fish out if you were worried about losing your spot. Ahhh I just reread your post saying first ever bull trout........well I guess you havent been river fishing much anyways if thats your first ever.

I've only lived in BC for a couple of years. No Bull Trout where I'm from! Fly fishing is still relatively new to me also, so I wasn't sure how my gear/knots would hold up in the current. That and I was enjoying my first. :D

DaCount, again, beautiful fish. I hope you were able to fix your busted c-pin without too much trouble. Cheers.

mikeyman

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2011, 01:50:41 AM »

Get used to it, the vedder/chilliwack is classic for walking in on somebody fishing the run thru. Lots of new fishermen, or just plain ignorance. That being said, the river belongs to everyone, I will ask nicely if I can fish thru, nobody has ever said no. If a fish is caught, congrats! That is what it is about right? I think it is exiting to see somebody else get one, because where there is one...there are usually 2...3...etc. Oh and alot of time where that fish is hit...they will be there next time, so make the note, and you will catch fish there again, and again...etc. Or I will anyways, mad skills and all.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2011, 04:41:41 AM »

I've only lived in BC for a couple of years. No Bull Trout where I'm from! Fly fishing is still relatively new to me also, so I wasn't sure how my gear/knots would hold up in the current. That and I was enjoying my first. :D

DaCount, again, beautiful fish. I hope you were able to fix your busted c-pin without too much trouble. Cheers.
Only a couple of yrs living in B.C? Newbie! I see alot of dudes out there with the best of gear and no idea how to fish.Bought my first Sage a few weeks ago,after 28yrs of steelheading. ;D

DaCount

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »

Sry guys for bitchin.  No hard feelins towards you Preliator.  And sure, the cost of my gear is a moot point.  Just don't like being accused of something I didn't do.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2011, 09:36:02 PM »

...I guess you havent been river fishing much anyways if thats your first ever...

I have been fly fishing rivers for 30 years and have never hooked a bull ( I did get one fishing the outlet of the upper Chehalis, but that was as much in the lake as in the river).
Not all those who wander are lost