Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Monster Alaska Horor 2010  (Read 2918 times)

awurban@msn.com

River Monster Alaska Horor 2010
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:43:32 PM »

just watching some Tv and there is an episode of river monsters from 2010 and he is fishing for dark red sockeye in Alaska. A bear steals a fish right from him as hes landing it on shore its an intresting episode. He explains when hes rigging up his fly rod, that salmon don't bite when they come into the fresh water so you use a longer leader so that it hits them in the mouth and they get hooked on the outside of their mouth lol
Check out minute "9:20"
http://youtu.be/8R9ydM23AtA

frozensalmon

Re: River Monster Alaska Horor 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:04:25 PM »

lol that bear is so smart , poor sockeye tho
more coho, more coho... ::)

frozensalmon

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:10:39 PM »

and as for the river monster, 18 feet white sturgeon  :o
more coho, more coho... ::)

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 01:44:28 AM »

BS flyfishing (fly flossing is more like it) >:( ive  seen the episode, i guess they had to get a fish on camera so they went the cheap way ::) i have great respect for JW, the man is a great fisherman,  but that episode decreased my respect quite abit, and i agree the with the above comment, the so called "monster" is probably a sturgeon.

still love the show though :) seen every episode.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:47:16 AM by urbanflyfisher »

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:43:03 AM »

What's that other show on N.G.?  There's the other guy, can't remember his name, but he always talks about how he is going to help such and such a team with their research, that their research is going to save the salmon...really?  You just roll in with a buncha cameras!  Maybe it's just me, but it bugs me to see him taking credit for the hard work of the biologists  :P

At least he's honest about the flossing though - soooo many times I've heard people try to play off their monster leaders by saying things like "oh, the betty scares them and the long leader means they don't see it!" Sssuuurrreeee

J
- John A.

azafai

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »

lol
and I see here those "pundits" blaming the bottom bouncers right and left.

James

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:44:55 PM »

I disliked the flossing method .

I really disliked that they were enticing the bear to come closer to them by dragging the salmon along in front of it . By doing so , made the bear come with in attacking distance to the film crew and dumbass host .

they had there guns drawn , just incase the bear decided to ignore the fish and eat 2 or 3 150lb humans . So basically , they were willing to kill a bear just for the sake of a tv show clip . thankfully that didn't have to happen . But by allowing the bear to come in close contact with humans ... that fed him . they are putting that bears life in danger for when it meets more fisherman who are not as kind . and will likely just shoot it instead .

DON'T FEED WILDLIFE ! even if there is no sign posted lol

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 07:26:13 PM »

I really disliked that they were enticing the bear to come closer to them by dragging the salmon along in front of it . By doing so , made the bear come with in attacking distance to the film crew and dumbass host .

Did you have any volume on?
He said he didn't see at at first. There isn't much you can do once a fish is on/close to the beach with an interested bear.
Have you ever tried breaking off a tired fish? I have before (same scenario) and it doesn't work, just dead weight and impossible to break off.
He wasn't trying to "entice" the bear. And I would think twice about calling someone a dumbass with as many qualifications, etc as he does.

I quite honestly don't care what people do to catch fish... if they are flossing so be it, as long as they aren't flat out ripping and trying to body snag.
Flossing is less harmful to a fish anyways than normal bait fishing and getting fish to bite due to hook placement.
I would give anything to have his job. His show is one of a kind and I really enjoy it.

By the way... if you want a new fun way of fishing sockeye in the fraser, run and 8 wt with pretty much the same setup he did.
It's a blast. AND if you run a small krill pattern I have gotten a few that had the hook deep down (assumed to bite).

Cheers,
Dan

James

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »

I had the volume on . if ya can't break it off , cut it off . and anyone that drags a salmon around in front a bear does have some loose wires . maybe not a dumbass , but poor choices were made .

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »

I had the volume on . if ya can't break it off , cut it off . and anyone that drags a salmon around in front a bear does have some loose wires . maybe not a dumbass , but poor choices were made .

Yes, the first poor choice was going fishing in Alaska.  I would STRONGLY recommend that you NEVER go fishing in Alaska.  Just asking for trouble.
Not all those who wander are lost

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »

that show rocks, i like the snakehead one

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 09:28:36 PM »

So you'd cut off 15 feet of your fly line in a stressful situation?
As said before, he wasn't dragging the salmon around in front of a bear, he was straight lining the rod trying to break it off and the salmon just kept coming along...

James

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 09:31:58 PM »

Yep :) ... I would have left my freaking rod there lol . I realize he was trying to break it off , but failing to do so meant he was dragging a salmon around in front of a bear . 15ft of line vs loosing your head . Interesting video for sure tho .

StillAqua

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 09:56:45 PM »

I was rooting for the bear...there's no shortage of fishing show hosts around.