Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: about rainbow trout  (Read 1258 times)

frozensalmon

about rainbow trout
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:27:33 PM »

hey guys, temperature is getting higher and higher, summer around,  just wondering if that means it's not very likely I can fish rainbow trouts in most of the lakes right now?

as far as I know rainbow trouts can't live in too warm waters, anyway, let me know if I'm wrong

and as for the hatchery fish, I don't think they stock any more after june, which means there are only wild ones?
more coho, more coho... ::)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: about rainbow trout
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »

Rainbow are going to be deep in most lakes.  You are going to find them in the deepest parts of the lake that have adequate levels of oxygen. This is usually a layer of water where the temperature change is the greatest and is called the thermocline.  A thermocline will reflect sound waves if the temperature change is great enough, so move to deep water and place your depth sounder in manual mode. Increase the gain, (sensitivity), until you see a solid or broken line in the middle of the water column. If your depth finder has the little fish symbols on it, this may take the form of a line of fish around a particular depth. As you move the boat, this line may move slightly up or down, (a foot or so), but should remain pretty close for a given area.  If you do not have a fish finder, your best bet is to tie a thermometer to a string and lower it into the water pulling it up every few minutes to check the temperature and drop it 3-6 feet deeper each time. When you find the depth of the thermocline (the layer with a large temperature drop) you will need to find structure at that depth, when you do you will find the fish.
Not all those who wander are lost

frozensalmon

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »

hm that sounds a bit complicated..
I don't have a boat, i guess i will just cast my line to the deepest part I can reach from shore..
maybe I will buy a inflatable boat.. but anyway thx
more coho, more coho... ::)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »

hm that sounds a bit complicated..
I don't have a boat, i guess i will just cast my line to the deepest part I can reach from shore..
maybe I will buy a inflatable boat.. but anyway thx

If you are fishing from shore, fish before sunrise and after sunset.  The fish will move into the shallower water to feed.
Not all those who wander are lost

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »

--agree if from shore and you cant get to deeper water got early and late..  or try to find inlet stream
--big issue if high water temp and you want to release the fish.. do as quick as possible.. and if water temp is to high just don't fish as released fish will probably not survive.
--don't worry about stalking unless you are looking at lakes where catchable fish are stocked...they will be around for a while... often the stocked fish are not intended for immediate catch, however several lakes have catchable fish planted with the intent.