Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should tackle shops discourage sales of bottom bouncing gear now  (Read 21601 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Should tackle shops discourage sales of bottom bouncing gear now
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »

Oregon has anti-flossing rules on many rivers that are easy to police such as:

"From May 1 through June 30, use of leaders longer than 36-inches is prohibited. Hooks are limited to no more than 1 single point
size 3/8-inch gap width (approximately size #2) or smaller hook."

"from May 1 to July 31 angling is restricted to fly angling and bobber angling only.
Bobber angling gear must include a bobber and a leader no longer than
36-inches in length. Any weight (except the bobber) may be no more
than 36-inches from the lowermost hook when suspended vertically. The
leader below the bobber must remain suspended in the water column and
not resting on the river bottom."

nosey

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2015, 09:15:48 PM »

I find it amazing that some anglers on this site will drive all the way to Quesnel to catch and release beautiful fish in Dragon Lake while others think that they are entitled to catch a couple salmon just because they had to pay for the gas it takes to drive from Surrey to Hope and back. That angler that drove to Quesnel will probably tell you it was one of the greatest fishing experiences he ever had and the one that drove to Hope will bitch about the DFO, bitch about the FNs, bitch about the regulations, wow we anglers sure cover a wide spectrum of peoples don't we :).

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »

Oregon has anti-flossing rules on many rivers that are easy to police such as:

"From May 1 through June 30, use of leaders longer than 36-inches is prohibited. Hooks are limited to no more than 1 single point
size 3/8-inch gap width (approximately size #2) or smaller hook."

"from May 1 to July 31 angling is restricted to fly angling and bobber angling only.
Bobber angling gear must include a bobber and a leader no longer than
36-inches in length. Any weight (except the bobber) may be no more
than 36-inches from the lowermost hook when suspended vertically. The
leader below the bobber must remain suspended in the water column and
not resting on the river bottom."

I wouldn't mind this reg. I could support this.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2015, 09:41:19 PM »

I wouldn't mind this reg. I could support this.
Except it would also prohibit bar fishing.

nosey

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »

I was watching Alaska State Troopers one night and saw them give a fly fisherman a ticket for making a big ripping action at the end of his drift. The trooper told the guy that was a snagging motion and that was that. If they can bust a guy for snagging with no gear restrictions whatsoever in the States where lawyers are quite plentiful and used by everybody that thinks they've been wronged I'm guessing that it would be pretty easy to bust people here too. Unfortunately we live in a province where mining and logging companies are now counted on to police themselves in regards to pollution matters and fishermen are expected to police themselves also. It's up to each tackle shop individually to decide what to do. The DFO does not make the laws, that's up to the provincial government who are obviously convinced that the people and businesses in BC are the most honest in the world because we need no enforcement,  the only power they have is to close the river if they figure that the fishermen are endangering the salmon. Probably rather than take a chance on their being severe non compliance to their request for people not to bottom bounce as there was this year if the same situation arises in the future they will just close the whole river for all salmon fishing. Now the sporting goods shops have to decide whether  or not to try to discourage people from bottom bouncing in fear of the river being totally closed in the future or take the cash now. I guess it's up to them to police themselves too. Looks to me like it's the instant gratification of the fast cash for most of them.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2015, 09:59:18 PM »

Except it would also prohibit bar fishing.

Meh - I don't bbounce or bar fish anymore so like I said earlier, I could support that Oregon reg.

I could however, see how others would take issue with that reg.

Personally, I believe that if we have salmon stocks in such risk to survival condition, we should be supporting a total salmon angling ban.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2015, 06:25:16 AM »

Personally, I believe that if we have salmon stocks in such risk to survival condition, we should be supporting a total salmon angling ban.

Too bad a lot of anglers think about their own interests over the entire salmon stocks. Then proceed to point the finger at other groups for the "blame".

Tylsie

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2015, 11:36:14 PM »

Too bad a lot of anglers think about their own interests over the entire salmon stocks. Then proceed to point the finger at other groups for the "blame".

Serious question, as I agree with you to a point. Do you honestly believe that if all sport fishing was stopped tomorrow, but every thing else was to stay the same, that fish stocks would recover?

If the only issue facing salmon was the sporties then there would be no conservation concerns. In my personal experience many, many anglers are actively trying to improve their plight. The same can not be said for many of the other threats facing them. To place the blame on us is unjust.

Earlier there was a post about the diversity of Anglers. I agree, but that is not to disparage others.  ;) A person can walk to the river, floss his two fish and then leave. A different person can jig for pinks and catch 20, drag them on the beach, kick them back in the water and then post on here about his day and be praised while the if the flosser did that he would be ridiculed. A person who only drives to Hope to catch a few salmon then complains about the FNs, the poor regulations, and mismanagement of the DFO is some how worse than the guy who drives past all of these issues on his way to 100 mile house (if you want trout the fishing is better, if you want variety continue to Prince George). The examples are too numerous to mentions, but you get the point. I fear the day when I will not be able to fish anymore will come soon, not in the name of conservation but because anglers themselves demanded it.   

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2015, 06:38:18 AM »

Serious question, as I agree with you to a point. Do you honestly believe that if all sport fishing was stopped tomorrow, but every thing else was to stay the same, that fish stocks would recover?

No, it wouldn't be enough, but it's a start. Why is it everyone seems to have this "if they can harvest, why can't I" attitude? I don't know about you personally, but I know life isn't fair.

I'm sick of seeing anglers whine and complain because they don't get what they want. Then they go and point fingers at other groups and blame them for their plight.

Down the road I hope for full salmon seasons to be closed for everyone, all groups, and then only then will we possibly see the stocks rise. There are many contributing factors for lower stocks, not just humans. You wouldn't see me complain, there is plenty of other fisheries to enjoy around this great province.

doja

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2015, 08:24:25 AM »

Down the road I hope for full salmon seasons to be closed for everyone, all groups, and then only then will we possibly see the stocks rise. There are many contributing factors for lower stocks, not just humans.

Humans are very much the cause and major cause alone(Up to this point). Please remove head from sand,  lol

And oddly enough it's the flosser who don't whine... Lol.  There just getting some action.

Our natural resources are being raped and pillaged for economic gain and this is perfectly acceptable. Flosser Joe's is just getting in on the action.

The unfortunate truth is...  Salmon are toast as per global warming and human growth...  There is no stopping this.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:28:38 AM by doja »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2015, 09:09:21 AM »

there's a hell of a lot of hypocrisy in blaming it all on "rape and pillage of economic resource"s since almost all of us live the life style that sort of economic activity supports. Without it we wouldn't be fishing as we do as we wouldn't have the tackle and we couldn't get to the rivers to fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2015, 09:58:21 AM »

Humans are very much the cause and major cause alone(Up to this point). Please remove head from sand,  lol

Yes we humans are the major cause, but not the entire cause. Global climate change will actually kill the entire stocks that we don't do in ourselves.