Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cutties on the fly  (Read 3452 times)

fishgutz63

cutties on the fly
« on: November 05, 2011, 07:38:43 AM »

just wanted to know if any  fellow feather chuckers have been out targeting cutties in stave or other systems at all .thanxs  8)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:41:29 AM by fishgutz63 »

count

Re: cutties on the fly
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »

This is prime cuttie time in my neck of the woods, (sunshine coast). Going to try and head out tommorrow.  The hogs should be about.  Got a 4 pounder and a 6 pounder two weeks ago.  Lost a real monster in the snags.   

Preliator

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »

Taking a break from the salmon today, I set up my fly rod and got one in a couple of casts in some great cutty looking water. I plan on spending more time targeting them in the future.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:23:14 AM »

I always try for cutties when I am out, especially if the coho and chum are not biting.  I was fishing the lower end of the stave the other day but instead of cutties I was hitting small jacks instead.  I had though they were cutties at first, because of their smaller size, but upon closer inspection they were small coho, jacks or juvies.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:27:08 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 07:48:05 AM »

Yes, yes I have  8)  ;D

carpenter

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 06:09:08 PM »

count  my old ladies mom lives up on the coast have fished for cutties in trout lake with little success where are you fishing ? are they sea run i have fished chapman quite a bit also halfmoon bay but always interested in trying something new any tips or advise would be great. thanks ;D

count

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 09:45:19 AM »

count  my old ladies mom lives up on the coast have fished for cutties in trout lake with little success where are you fishing ? are they sea run i have fished chapman quite a bit also halfmoon bay but always interested in trying something new any tips or advise would be great. thanks ;D

I'm further up actually.  I'm in Powell River.  I fish the lakes in this area.  I haven't fished much down that way but from what I've read and heard its fairly similar to the Powell River area.  I find the cutties around here usually can't refuse a stickleback or baitfish imitation.  Big  flies are good.  Big cutties don't get big around here by eating little insects.  Even the little guys will take a swipe at a pretty big baitfish imitation.  The other thing that can make a difference is the speed of your retrieve.  You'd be surprised sometimes at how fast of a retrieve will get strikes.  Sometimes faster is better.  Cutties are sometimes called freshwter sharks for a reason, lol

count

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »

I heard that Ruby lake also contains some nice cutties, might make it down there to give it a go one day.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:00:28 AM by count »

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »

cant beat a mickey finn for cutts  ;)

carpenter

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 08:53:51 PM »

thanks count and blackgivesway2blue , well  i know there around definatley going to try a faster retrieve and we see how it works out  ;)

fishgutz63

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »

went out on the stave today targeting cutties with lots of success on rolled muddlers and mickey finns hooked a couple of jacks also,  windy at times but had lots of fun, ;D

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 06:22:35 PM »

went out on the stave today targeting cutties with lots of success on rolled muddlers and mickey finns hooked a couple of jacks also,  windy at times but had lots of fun, ;D

whatd i say about mickey finns ?  ;)